Vidalia onion recipes on the grill will soon be your favorite way to finish the summer grilling season. The Vidalia onion is a sweet, mild one that is amazingly flavorful on the grill and, with its rich sweetness, will give your burgers, steaks, and hot dogs a yummy flavor.
Vidalia onion recipes on the grill start with a cookout favorite, beef burgers. Add some grilled Vidalia onions to your burger patties for a rich sweet flavor, and you will have the best burgers of your life.
Adding grilled Vidalia onions to your hot dogs is a no-brainer, but add some Vidalia onion relish, and then you got yourself one heck of a hot dog. Add grilled sweet Vidalia onions to your brats for an amazing taste sensation. The sweet and mild flavor of the Vidalia will intensify a classically good hamburger.
How to make Vidalia onion recipes on the grill?
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Ingredients for Vidalia onion recipes on the grill:
- 4 large Vidalia onions
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp The Fresh Market Signature Spice Rub
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Fresh parsley, chopped
Directions for Vidalia onion recipes on the grill:
1. In a colander set over a bowl, dust Vidalia onions with kosher salt and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Rinse and dry very well.
2. Remove the top two layers of green onion from the onion. Rinse any dirt off of the onion using a clean paper towel.
3. Using an electric knife or a sharp chef’s knife, slice into the onions in lengthwise thirds, about 1/4 inch thick.
4. Arrange the onion slices on a grill rack and grill in hot cooking oil over medium-high heat until lightly charred, turning often.
5. Brush each side of the onions with the melted butter and then season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
6. On a lightly oiled baking sheet, place the sweet Vidalia onions in one layer and top with broiled burger patties.
7. Preheat the oven to broil, allowing the room temperature of your grill to remain high.
8. Top each burger with chopped fresh parsley and transfer the baking sheet to the preheated oven, for about 5-7 minutes or until all the burgers are done.
9. Serve Vidalia onion recipes on the grill with your favorite condiments and a side salad.
NOTE: You can cook up some chicken breasts or steaks on your outdoor grill, but you will have to double this recipe if you go that route.
Nutrition Facts of Vidalia onion recipes on the grill
- Calories: 189
- Cholesterol: 15mg;
- Sodium: 323mg;
- Total Carbohydrate: 29g;
- Dietary Fiber: 3g;
- Sugars: 6g;
- Protein: 6g
5 Amazing Serving Ideas for Vidalia onion recipes on the grill
1. Add grilled onions to your burgers for a great taste.
2. Add grilled sweet Vidalia onions to your hot dogs for a bolder burst of flavor.
3. Top your bratwurst with grilled sweet onions and spicy mustard.
4. Add the grilled sweet Vidalia onion slices to hamburgers, steaks, and hot dogs as a garnish before serving.
5. Top your favorite grilled chicken or steak with grilled sweet Vidalia onions.
Which onion is best to grill?
The Vidalia onion is the best to grill because it is sweet and mild. The Vidalia onion has white and light yellow flesh, while the tops of both green onions are also light yellow. The necks are white, with no green on them or seeds.
Is the sweet onion the best to grill?
Yes, the sweet onion is an amazing choice for grilling and does a great job of enhancing flavors in grilled meats. The sweet onion can be grilled alone or with other ingredients for a delicious side dish.
How do you cut Vidalia onions on the grill?
The soft green skin of the Vidalia onion is the best part to grill because it is sweeter than the hard yellow bulb portion of the onion. The skin can be cut off in strips or quartered, sure not to cut through to the skin or white center.
How do you grill Vidalia onions?
The best way to prepare Vidalia onions for grilling is by using a heavy-duty electric knife or chef’s knife without a serrated edge. A serrated edge will keep the onion together while grilling, which is not what you want because the onion has to be sliced into about 1/4 inch thick slices.
Before slicing, the onions can be quartered or in strips and then quartered again. The onion slices should be thick to hold up on the grill without falling apart.
What can I do with a bag of Vidalia onions?
You can make a lot of delicious recipes with a bag of Vidalia onions, including onion rings, Vidalia onion recipes on the grill, and Vidalia onion relish. You can also dice the onions and add them to salads or use them as a garnish for any grilled dish.
The result is a sweet, mild onion that is an amazing flavor enhancer for burgers, steaks, and grilled hot dogs. The clean flavor of the Vidalia onion goes beautifully with meat and gives your food the rich taste it needs to be delicious.
Grilling Vidalia onions has never been simpler than with these 5 amazing recipes for grilling Vidalia onions outside on a grill. If you have one, you can also prepare this recipe in your kitchen or on an indoor grill pan.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and tried out this Vidalia onion recipe on the grill or any other Vidalia onion recipes.