A vegan king cake recipe is a traditional holiday bread that has been traditionally made for the Catholic Christmas celebration.
It consists of a coffee-flavored, yeast-raised dough covered in sugar and cinnamon, with various fruits and nuts scattered throughout.
All are optional ingredients for this recipe — you can also substitute items like raisins and currants or lemon zest!
Some people enjoy using non-dairy butter or vegetable shortening to grease their pans; however, they can be healthy alternatives to butter or margarine, which are typically used.
The peel of the banana is then dipped into the batter before being layered into each cupcake mold before baking.
This will help prevent air bubbles from forming inside the king cake by ensuring that the batter is spread into every nook and cranny.
How To Make A Vegan King Cake Recipe?
Preparation time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Here is the vegan king cake recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk, I used plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 3 tablespoons organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
For the frosting:
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted if lumpy
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and up to 1/2 tsp more if desired.
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (if needed) [optional]
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1– 1 1/2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Adjust the oven rack to the middle of the oven and heat for 20 minutes.
Step 2: Lightly oil or spray your pans.
Separate and place the yeast in a small bowl and add warm water, stir to dissolve; let sit a few minutes until it begins to bubble (this is called proofing).
Step 3: Add all dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed, just until combined.
Step 4: Add the yeast mixture, milk, and butter and mix until combined. Switch to a dough hook if your mixer has one, and knead until smooth, about 8 minutes. Add more flour as needed (I used 2 1/2 cups). The dough should be firm but still soft and pliable.
Step 5: Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to form a smooth ball. Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes (this is called proofing).
Step 6: Roll out one piece of dough to a 12-inch by 7-inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick after it has rested. Place the banana on one side of the rectangle and roll up, pinching to seal. Cut rolls into 1-inch pieces with a sharp knife. Repeat with remaining dough and bananas.
Step 7: Put the pieces into the containers, leaving about 1/2-inch of space for them to rise (they will be about 3/4 full after rising). Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
Step 8: Beat butter with an electric mixer in a large bowl until creamy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until combined. Gradually add water if frosting is too thick. Switch to a hand mixer if it’s too runny.
Step 9: Use icing bags with decorative tips or a large zip-lock bag with one corner cut off to frost the cupcakes.
Step 10: Sprinkle with almonds and cinnamon, then serve or store in an airtight container for up to two days once cooled.
For vegan chocolate and coconut icing, you can use chocolate chips with coconut oil or vegan butter and sweetened shredded coconut instead of the butter.
Nutrition Fact Of Vegan King Cake Recipe
Serving: 1 Slice
|Sodium||310 mg g|
Health Benefits Of Vegan king cake recipe
Here are some benefits of the Vegan king cake recipe:
1. Vegan king cake recipes are healthy and easy to make.
2. Vegan king cake has less saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium than a regular king cake.
3. Vegan king cakes are low in calories but have high sugars compared to other cakes and pastries.
4. Vegan king cakes contain fiber which can help lower cholesterol levels because it slows the absorption of sugars into the body.
5. Vegan king cake recipe is low in fat, cholesterol, and sodium but high in carbohydrates and sugars.
6. Vegan king cakes have high protein, which can help maintain steady blood sugar levels and improve overall health.
7. Adding some fruit to the vegan king cake recipe will provide a host of antioxidants needed to prevent disease.
8. Vegan king cakes have high protein, which can help create healthy blood cells that fight off infection and boost the immune system.
9. Vegan king cakes are a great source of dietary fiber and key minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, and copper.
10. Vegan king cake recipe is high in potassium needed for converting carbohydrates into energy.
11. Vegan king cakes contain beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. This essential nutrient supports immune function, assists vision development in children, and promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails.
Where Can You Get Vegan King Cakes?
Vegan king cakes can be purchased from specialty stores and bakeries, or you can make your own at home.
Is There A Vegan King Cake Recipe?
Yes, there are many different recipes for vegan king cakes that you can try at home with some alterations to the ingredients.
What Is The Difference Between Vegan King Cake And Non-Vegan King Cake?
Vegan king cakes do not contain animal products, including dairy, eggs, or honey. They are also baked using vegetable oil instead of lard.
What Is Vegan King Cake Made Of?
Vegan king cakes are made with egg-free and dairy-free ingredients like flour, sugar, fruits, and nuts to make it a healthier version compared to the traditional non-vegan king cake.
Are Vegan King Cakes Gluten Free?
Yes, vegan king cakes are naturally gluten free because they do not contain any gluten.
Does Vegan King Cake Recipe Have Eggs?
Yes, vegan king cakes do contain eggs. However, you can try the substitute suggested below to make a vegan version of it:
1 large banana = 1 egg
You can also use applesauce or Ener-G Egg Replacer for baking in place of eggs.
Where Can You Get Vegan King Cakes?
Several specialty stores and bakeries offer vegan king cakes. You can make your vegan king cake by using almond flour or coconut flour instead of regular wheat flour.
To make it a healthier counterpart to the traditional recipe, you will substitute sweetened shredded coconut for butter and add some flaxseed and ground ginger to the recipe and replace egg yolks with mashed bananas or applesauce.
Vegan king cake recipes are favorite during Mardi Gras celebrations. It’s perfect for those who avoid eating dairy products, eggs, and animals. This recipe is also a great way to involve your children in the kitchen to learn how to cook.
From all accounts, vegan king cakes are tasty and very similar. This is a great way to get your whole family involved in the kitchen. If you are still not sure about the vegan king cake, try experimenting with different types of flours and fruits.
You can even make up your recipe using different ingredients that you enjoy. Let me know what kind of vegan king cakes you made and what they tasted like!