Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe is a very easy, soft cake with a crisp and light outside. You can make it in 10 minutes and serve it for breakfast or tea.
The recipe below makes one large cake. Remember that the thinner you roll the cake out, the more tender it will be in the middle.
Make sure not to overmix the batter – fold in with a spatula until everything is mixed well enough.
How to make Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe
- 3 Eggs, room temperature
- 60g Caster Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/3 cup of Cake Flour,
- sifted 1/3 cup of Milk
1. preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit), and line your baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Place cake flour in a bowl, add the caster sugar and mix well. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until foamy and pale yellow (almost white).
4. Add in the vanilla sugar and mix well until sugar is well dissolved.
5. Pour in your Milk slowly, and mix well.
6. Fold in the flour gently into the egg mixture, but you don’t want to over-mix it at this stage as it will make your cake tough – it’s ok to leave a few streaks of flour in there.
7. Pour the batter into the baking pan, and spread evenly using a spatula or knife (you can also use offset spatulas if you have one).
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a cake tester or skewer comes out clean.
9. After the cake is completely cooled down in the pan, you can store it in an airtight container for up to 6-7 days.
10. To serve: Cut into rectangular pieces, and help with Vanilla Icing as a topping (or pouring directly over the top).
Nutrition Facts of Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe
Health Benefits of Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe
1. Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake is a very healthy, low-sugar cake. The flour, Milk, and eggs are all ingredients mostly used in baking, and these are balanced out with the sweetness from the sugar and vanilla essence (this helps to lower blood sugar levels).
2. Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake is also great for diabetics, as this one does not have any added sugars – it’s just sugar from the eggs and vanilla sugar which is not that bad for people with diabetes.
3. Also, the cake is very gluten-free – this will be important if you are looking for a low-sugar cake that you can enjoy as a breakfast or snack.
4. Lastly, Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake is a moist, soft cake – most people find it better served with Icing or whipped cream as frosting.
Best 6 Serving Suggestion of Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe
1. The Nutritionist recommends the below amount of sweets for 5 servings.
2.5g of sugar from the Icing, 5g of sugar from the Vanilla Sugar, and 1.5g of sugar from the Milk.
3. It might be better to serve this cake by itself with a tall glass of milk (2% or skimmed Milk with no ice cubes). This will give you about 12g of dairy fat.
4. To make it more indulgent, you can drizzle melted chocolate over the cake before serving.
5. You can also serve this cake with homemade coffee ice cream.
6. The cake is best served immediately, but it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
You might want to reduce the icing sugar amount by half if you’re going to keep it for long periods in the fridge, as it will get soggy.
Can I Freeze It?
Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake can be frozen for a few months or even longer. You can freeze the whole cake, or you can also make slices and freeze them individually. They will get soggy if you defrost them in the fridge – only defrost the slices at room temperature.
Is It Healthy?
There are no harmful fats in this cake (only 2.5g of fat per serving). It’s also low in cholesterol and saturated fats, so that it will be good for your heart.
However, the cream and milk used may have a higher cholesterol content, so you should check with your doctor before consuming it.
How to eat?
This recipe makes 1 large cake. You can cut it into squares or make individual slices and serve them as it is with any of the above toppings.
Can I replace the Eggs with Egg White?
You can replace 3 eggs for 2 egg whites, but you will need to reduce the amount of sugar by half. The cake will be fluffier and lighter that way, but it will also have a less-rich taste.
How to Store?
This cake can be stored in the fridge for 6-7 days. You might want to hold it in an airtight container and reduce the icing sugar amount by half if you’re going to keep it for longer than a few days.
The Bottom Line
Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake is a very easy cake to make, and it also tastes very nice – it’s one of my favorite cakes from a simple family recipe. You can keep the cake in an airtight container in the fridge and serve it as needed.