Valencia Cake Recipe is a dense, dark, spicy cake. The original recipe came from the American Colony Hotel in Jerusalem.
It was served for years at their New Year’s Eve buffet and has since found its way to tables worldwide.
This cake is usually made with walnuts or pecans; however, it can also be made without nuts, either substituting them for nuts or omitting them entirely.
How to make Valencia Cake Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cups (200g) walnuts or pecans
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1 and 1/3 cups (225g) packed brown sugar
- 5 oz semisweet chocolate (100%), coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (50g) finely ground blanched almonds
1. preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease and flour an 8 inch (20cm) square pan.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients.
3. Place the nuts into a food processor or blender and process until you have a fine meal with bits of nuts in it. Add in the brown sugar and pulse to combine but be careful not to over blend the mixture!
4. Combine the dry ingredients with the nut/sugar mixture and mix until you have a loose batter.
5. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl over hot water. Mix in well.
6. Add the chocolate to the batter and mix to combine.
7. Pour the batter into greased pan and level it out with a spatula or back of a spoon (you can also chill the mixture first for a more straightforward spreading process).
8. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before slicing.
9. Before serving, dust with confectioners’ sugar or drizzle with chocolate sauce if using.
You may like: Fish Paste Recipe: 7 Best Variations Of The Recipe
Nutrition facts of Valencia Cake Recipe
|Calories from Fat||351.9|
The 7 health nutrition of Valencia Cake Recipe
1. Dark Chocolate is a good source of antioxidants that help protect body tissues from damage. Antioxidants offer exceptional protection against the damage caused by oxidation resulting from free radicals (unstable molecules formed as by any process).
The antioxidants in dark chocolate are flavonoids, which are water-soluble and therefore easily damaged.
2. Walnuts and pecans contain high amounts of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and omega-3 fatty acids.
3. Walnuts are also a great source of good fats and protein.
4. Walnuts can help prevent heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
5. Walnuts contain copper, which helps regulate many important biological processes, including the formation of antioxidant enzymes, the reduction of free radicals in the body, and the proper functioning of immune systems.
6. A diet rich in antioxidants is associated with a reduced risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, cataracts, and osteoporosis.
7. Walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for many processes, including the production of hormones, components of cell membranes, and health-promoting prostaglandins.
Who Can Eat This Delicious Recipe?
This recipe is appropriate for vegetarians and vegans. This recipe is gluten-free, but please note that some chocolate contains gluten. This recipe is a good source of fiber, protein, and omega-6 fatty acids.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze this recipe. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Can I Make This Recipe in Advance?
Yes, of course. But the batter will get a little more complicated if it is chilled for a long time. You can reheat the baked cake in an oven using the exact directions for baking.
Or you can refrigerate and reheat in a 350F/180C oven for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
Where Can I Buy It?
Valencia Cake is available in most grocery stores.
How Many Calories in It?
The amount of calories depends on the type of walnuts or pecans you use. With pecans, each 2-inch square has 249 calories. With walnuts, each 2-inch square has 269 calories.
This recipe is made out of delicious ingredients and minimal calories. It is excellent for people who need to lose weight, but it tastes fantastic!
This cake is usually made with walnuts or pecans. However, it can also be made without nuts – either by substituting them or omitting them entirely.