The Trinidad sponge cake recipe is a great way to put all the ingredients in your kitchen to work. It’s also a great recipe to have on hand because it is so versatile!
No matter what ingredients you have on hand, you can probably whip up this classic dish. The Trinidad sponge cake is moist and spongy, and it’s not too sweet either.
This makes the perfect dessert for any occasion, whether a baby shower or an after-school snack.
How To Make Trinidad Sponge Cake Recipe?
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8 people
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup walnut or pecan nuts (optional)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp essence
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup Liquid Milk
Ingredients To Prepare The Syrup
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons rum flavor or any liqueur you have on hand.
Ingredients To Prepare The Icing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease two 4 inch pans. Beat the eggs and sugar until thick and fluffy.
Mix flour, nuts, baking powder, baking soda, essence, and salt. Mix until just combined.
Step 2: Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cooling completely before removing from pans.
Step 3: While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup by combining pineapple juice and rum. Please remove the cake from the oven and poke about 25 holes on top before it cools when the cake is made.
Step 4: Remove from oven and pour the syrup slowly over the holes. Allow cooling completely before icing. To make the icing, combine powdered sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Drizzle or smooth over the cooled cakes.
Step 5: Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Fact Of Trinidad Sponge Cake Recipe
Best 10 Healthy Benefits Of Trinidad Sponge Cake Recipe
1. The fiber and potassium content in this dessert can help lower blood pressure and reduce the effects of stress on the body.
2. This dessert is a good source of calcium that can enhance the bones and teeth. It also prevents muscle contractions and heart attacks.
3. This dessert is rich in Vitamin A, promoting healthy skin, nails, and vision and maintaining body tissues, cells, bones, and teeth.
4. The beta-carotene in this dessert can help prevent skin diseases such as acne, facial redness, and dermatitis. It also helps maintain eye health by preventing night blindness or dry eyes due to its antioxidant properties.
5. The fat content in this dessert provides energy and is a good source of Vitamin E. This vitamin can help maintain healthy skin, hair, and nails and promote a healthy immune system.
6. It is also rich in iron content, promoting healthy blood and preventing anemia.
7. This dessert is rich in many B-vitamins that help boost metabolism and promote a feeling of well-being. It also helps in preventing heart diseases and cancer.
8. The dietary fiber content in this dessert can help lower the cholesterol level in the blood and promote normal bowel functions. This also assists in weight loss, reduces the risk of heart disease and strokes, promotes a healthy digestive tract, lowers your risk of diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease.
9. This dessert is rich in magnesium that helps maintain a healthy balance of electrical impulses within nerves and muscles and maintain normal blood pressure levels.
10. It is also rich in copper, promoting healthy hair and gums, maintaining joint flexibility, and preventing osteoporosis and arthritis.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can make and freeze this recipe by following the same steps, but make sure to cool completely before freezing.
How Long Is Frozen?
The Trinidad sponge cake will last up to a month in an airtight container in the freezer.
When To Eat This Recipe?
This recipe can be served at any time of the day. (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner). Make sure that kids can have it with milk.
The Trinidad sponge cake is a very popular Caribbean dessert that has been enjoyed for many years. It’s easy to make and can be served for any occasion.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!