Trinidad Fry Bake Recipe. This version of the Trinidadian dish is well-suited for any occasion. It’s a dessert made from cinnamon, sugar, butter, and eggs that are then layered with flaky pastry dough and fried until golden brown.
The crunchy crust that you get when it’s done baking is just out of this world! I find this fry bake is overloaded with flavor, so feel free to be creative in how you top it with your favorite pastry ingredients or even spices.
How to make Trinidad Fry Bake Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
1. Preheat an oven to 350℉ (175℉) and spray a 9-inch round pan with cooking oil.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix them.
3. Add the sugar to the melted butter and mix well using your hands. Add the eggs and vanilla essence to this mixture, making sure eggs are well combined and dissolved before adding them to the batter.
4. Pour the batter into the bowl with dry ingredients and stir well until you have a smooth batter.
5. Divide this batter evenly into the greased 9-inch round pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when poked in the middle of the cake.
6. Remove from oven and cool until it reaches room temperature. Smash it with a fork if you want to break up any large lumps before spreading on top of your pastry dough later on.
7. Spread the pan with the delicious melted butter before adding a layer of cinnamon dough.
8. Prepare your favorite pastry dough (see below for my recipe) and refrigerate it for 30.
You may like: Valencia Cake Recipe: The 7 Health Nutrition
Nutrition facts of Trinidad Fry Bake Recipe
The benefits of Trinidad Fry Bake Recipe
The carbs in this dessert come from flour, so it’s great for people with diabetes who eat lots of bread and bread-like products.
The protein comes from the eggs, so it’s good if you are a vegetarian or looking to add more proteins to your diet.
This recipe is also a great source of fiber since there is no fiber-rich ingredient in this dish. You might be wondering why I added cinnamon to the dry ingredients when it’s used on top of the pastry dough.
8 Healthy nutrition of Trinidad Fry Bake Recipe
The fiber in this dish comes from the pastry dough. Lots of pastry doughs use whole wheat flour as the main ingredient.
Whole wheat flour has a good amount of fiber (about 2 grams per serving), and you can multiply that to get the entire amount of fiber in this dessert.
The eggs and butter in this recipe are good protein sources for vegetarians or people who are not consuming enough proteins from animal sources in their diets.
That’s because the meat is made from hard-to-digest proteins when they’re not cooked.
The main ingredient in this dish is flour. Flour has carbs, but unlike regular pieces of bread, it’s healthy to eat whole wheat flour since it won’t make your body produce insulin and store fat if you overeat.
Carbohydrates and sugar are the reason why this dish contains a lot of calories. Remember, you can’t have a healthy diet if you overeat these. Don’t use any oil in this dish, so it’s unnecessary to have a lot of those calories in there, either.
You should find ways to optimize your portions and make healthier choices when eating this dish, particularly when avoiding the carbs in it.
5. Dietary fiber:
Fiber has been found to lower the risk of heart diseases, so it’s a great vitamin you need if you want to stay healthy. This dish contributes a lot of fiber by using pastry dough.
This ingredient makes this dish a lot healthier than regular fried foods, as it’s shallow in sodium.
Potassium is good for your heart and lowers blood pressure, which can help prevent strokes and heart attacks.
This dish has quite a bit of potassium in it, so it’s a good choice for you who want to keep your heart healthy.
Dough products are usually higher in cholesterol than other foods and desserts, so this dish contains more cholesterol.
Eating whole wheat pastries or bread will reduce your cholesterol intake if you look for healthier choices.
Can I freeze it?
Yes, you can freeze it for up to a month if it’s being stored in an air-tight container. If you want to freeze it for more than a month, be sure to double wrap the dish with plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
Thaw the dish at room temperature and use a wire whisk to break up any large lumps that form during thawing.
I think this is the best Trinidadian dish I’ve ever tasted. It’s just amazing! The quantity and quality are good, and it’s very affordable!
I love eating it more than once because it’s so easy to prepare and will not take you a lot of time. This dish is also great for celebrations and parties because everyone will love how it tastes.
You can always try experimenting on your own with different types of pastry doughs or even use spices instead of cinnamon to make this a more diverse recipe.