The Trinidad curry shrimp recipe is a spicy, tangy dish popular in Trinidad and Tobago. The dish combines many ingredients like garlic, red pepper, and tomato paste to create a tender and flavorful dish that is perfect for those who want to cook at home. The sauce has a bright flavor that pairs well with shrimp.
The curry also contains ingredients most commonly associated with Indian curries, such as coriander and cumin.
Although Trinidad curry shrimp is typically served over rice, this dish can be prepared in other ways, such as being grilled or served with tortillas instead.
How to make Trinidad curry shrimp recipe?
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Serves 4 to 6 people
Ingredients for Trinidad Curry Shrimp Recipe
- 500g prawns (larger ones are best), deveined and cleaned
- ½ lime
- 4 tsp amchur masala
- 4 tbsp medium curry powder
- 4 tsp ground geera (cumin)
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 spring onions, white and green parts separated, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2 scotch bonnets, finely chopped and deseeded if you like
- 250g potatoes, peeled, diced, and boiled for 10 minutes
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- roughly chopped to make 2 tbsp chadon beni or coriander
- paratha, to serve
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add some spring onion whites, garlic, chili, and 1 tsp curry powder. Cook for 1 minute or until the onions are softened.
2. Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes or until just cooked through (the prawns are cooked through when they have changed color from grey to pink). Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, then set aside on a plate lined with greaseproof paper.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan, and then add the remaining curry powders, green seasoning, and chadon beni.
4. Stir-fry for a minute or until fragrant, then add the tomatoes and potatoes. Add the prawns, white spring onions, and scotch bonnet to the pan and cook for 3–4 minutes or until everything is heated.
5. Serve with paratha.
Nutrition Facts of Trinidad curry shrimp recipe
8 Amazing Serving Ideas of Trinidad curry shrimp recipe
1. Serve with rice and a large side of roti.
2. Mix some cooked rice with the Trinidad curry shrimp recipe.
3. Add some dry spices together and create your own spicy curry shrimp recipe.
4. Use corn on the cob as a great accompaniment to your Trinidad curry shrimp dish.
5. Stir fry onions, garlic, chili, and tomatoes together in a pan to create a delicious accompaniment to your Trinidad curry shrimp meal.
6. Add freshly chopped coriander and use it to garnish your Trinidad curry shrimp recipe.
7. Use the Trinidad curry shrimp recipe as a coating for fried chicken or serve over tacos.
8. Add some cooked brown rice and serve.
Trinidad curry shrimp recipe is so easy to make and full of flavor. This dish can be served as a main meal or an appetizer with roti. It is also very healthy because it contains proteins, carbohydrates, and vitamins.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes. A freezer can be used to store this dish at home. So, chill your Trinidad curry shrimp recipe in the freezer and the rest of your other frozen food for a hassle-free meal in the future.
I recommend you use a Tupperware-type container to store your frozen dish as it ensures that it remains perfect for reuse and will retain its fresh taste.
Is It Healthy?
You can eat Trinidad curry shrimp recipes because they contain proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. This dish has a good amount of vitamins B12, C, and E, so you don’t have to worry about it.
Is Trinidad curry shrimp recipe Kids Friendly?
Yes, the Trinidad curry shrimp recipe is a healthy dish for the kids. It is full of proteins and carbohydrates and is also low in fat. There are no added preservatives or artificial ingredients in this dish, so you don’t worry about any side effects.
Can I Make Trinidad Curry Shrimp Recipe In Advance?
Yes. The Trinidad curry shrimp recipe can also be made in advance to get together with friends and a special occasion or with unexpected guests. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and in the freezer for a month.
Is It Good For Heart patients?
Yes. Trinidad curry shrimp is a healthy recipe for heart patients as it contains a good amount of protein, fat, carbohydrates, and vitamins B12 and C. It is also low in cholesterol and saturated fat, so you don’t have to worry about it if you are on a diet.
Trinidad curry shrimp recipe is a favorite dish for many home chefs in Trinidad and Tobago. This dish can be made the way you like it by using different spices and ingredients to get a unique meal for you. It is easy to prepare and delicious to taste.
I hope this article on the Trinidad curry shrimp recipe was useful to you. If you have any questions or suggestions, do not hesitate to leave a comment below.