Traditional farmhouse fruit cake recipe is a type of fruit cake that is typically mixed, dried, soaked, and softened before being baked in an oven.
It also includes eggs and suet. Traditional farmhouse fruitcake is made mostly with dry fruits and less candied fruits.
The dried fruits are mixed and soaked before being baked in the oven. The soaking period is normally two days because this allows the fruit cake to soften and gives it a sweet taste.
How To Make Traditional Farmhouse Fruit Cake Recipe?
Preparation time: 40 mins
Baking time: 2 h, 15 min
Ready in 2 h, 55 mins
Servings: 10 delicious servings
- 5 large eggs
- 900-gram candied fruits such as apples, cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc. to fulfill your berry-science
- Sugar, as per your need, but do not make it too sweet
- 1/3 cup butter
- 5-cup natural yogurt, whole milk or cream, to make the cake smooth and soft
- 2 tablespoons (1/3 cup) molasses
- 8 cups flour
- 250g butter (1/2 lb.) suet or vegetable fat (for dairy-free alternative)
- 90g mixed nuts and raisins if needed. This will also add texture to the recipe. Nuts and raisins are optional ingredients that you do not need in this recipe.
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix the dried fruits with the sugar (timer-less). The mixture includes 1 cup of sugar, 2 medium-sized sultanas, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice, and a dash of salt. Use more ingredients if required.
3. Grease your basin or baking tin and line with baking parchment or waxed paper, leaving some paper stuck to the bottom so it will not stick to the cake when pouring in the batter.
4. Soften the butter at room temperature.
5. Mix the butter with the sugar and molasses mixture until creamy and soft. Add the eggs and mix well. This will take about 5 minutes to prepare a creamy mixture that is easy to spread over your baking paper.
6. Add the nut and fruit mixture to the batter and mix well, avoiding clumps.
7. Mix in the flour and suet if used. You can use either butter or suet for this recipe. Butter is traditional, but you can use any other alternative if you have no butter at home.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Apply a generous layer of batter over the surface.
9. Bake for about one and half hours (1.5 hours if you are using butter) until golden brown, firm and springy when you touch it with your finger.
10. To test whether it is ready, insert a wooden fork into the cake at an angle, and if it comes out clean, it is ready to be taken out from the oven.
11. Allow cooling before removing from tin. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Enjoy your tasty traditional farmhouse fruit cake recipe!
5 To 7 Days Before Serving
1. Make the cake batter. This includes 6 to 7 cups of flour (500 to 600 grams), 2-3 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 cup of chopped suet/vegetable fat (120 grams or less).
2. Add the fruit mixture and mix well.
3. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius and make sure your basin is greased very well with butter or vegetable oil.
4. Pour the batter into your prepared tin.
5. Bake for approximately 3 hours and then cool it.
6. Leave the fruit cake to soak in the fridge for a couple of days at least. This will make your fruit cake moist and soft, ready to serve when needed.
7. Serve chilled with custard or cream on a slice of bread or as a snack with tea/coffee/chocolate. This traditional farmhouse fruit cake recipe is good for up to 100 days in the refrigerator if stored properly and covered with cling wrap.
8. When you want to eat it, remove it from the fridge and leave it to warm up to room temperature in a bowl or on your countertop.
9. Serve with custard or cream, or cream sauce or butter and jam/jam/fruit butter. This traditional farmhouse fruit cake recipe is great as a snack and dessert. You may also make this apple pie recipe with some ingredients except for the fruit.
10. If there is any cake left, you can use it to make bread or cakes of your choice.
Is It Healthy?
Nuts: Yes. You can also use raisins, nuts, or chocolate chips instead.
Is It Suitable For Diabetics?
Yes, this traditional farmhouse fruit cake recipe is a good healthy fruitcake. The whole wheat and the high protein content in this recipe are a good choice for people with diabetes.
However, you may want to adjust the sugar content to your taste to subtract sugar from this fruit cake recipe.
The above is a traditional fruitcake recipe that is easy and suitable for people with diabetes. It is made with wheat and high protein content from the suet or vegetable fat, healthy ingredients for people with diabetes to eat.
This fruitcake recipe has no gluten, is low in calories, low in fat, and can be eaten for a long time without getting tired of it. This recipe does not need sugar or other extras like chocolate chips, raisins, or nuts.
You can also make other fruitcake recipes using this cake as a base. You can add more dried fruits, nuts, or raisins to the recipe as per your taste.
You can also blend two or three types of dried fruits and nuts to create different fruitcake flavors from this easy fruit cake recipe without butter. Add nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate chips if you want extra flavor in this traditional farmhouse fruit cake recipe.