The tejate recipe is one of the most traditional recipes in Mesoamerican cooking. This recipe is typically prepared for large celebrations and holidays, but it can be made to serve a smaller number of people.
The dish consists of corn, tomatoes, avocados, and cheese wrapped together in tortillas to form a type of tamale or burrito filled with many different flavors. One thing that should not be overlooked in this recipe is the green chili sauce it calls for.
The green chili sauce is made of three different chilies, with a little tomato and onion.
Different Mexican regions have different ways of making this drink. In the state of Oaxaca, it is commonly caused by fermenting corn dough in an earthenware jar for 10 days until it reaches six to eight volumes of alcohol content.
How To Make Tejate Recipe?
The tejate recipe is not difficult to make, and it is easy to make. You will need some dried corn, agua, water, cacao, cocoa powder, piloncillo, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks (optional).
If you like cinnamon, I recommend you try it with cinnamon sticks.
- 4 to 6 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup of onions
- 2-3 cups of fresh corn kernels (fresh from the cob)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup of cotija cheese (crumbled Mexican cheese) ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (dried, but not ground)
- 4-6 flour tortillas (preferably homemade tortillas that you have made yourself)
- 1 can of green chilies
- 3 tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- For the sauce: ¼ onion
Step-1. In a large pot, boil some water, add the dry corn in boiling water, and simmer for a few minutes.
Step-2. Drain the corn in a strainer and rinse with cold water.
Step-3. Chop the avocados and tomatoes into ¼ inch cubes and place them in a glass bowl along with the chopped onions and cotija cheese (crumbled Mexican cheese).
Step-4. Mix the lime juice, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, spices, and herbs thoroughly until they are well blended.
Step-5. Prep the dough with the tortillas.
Step-6. Place a few tablespoons of sauce in the center of each tortilla and add some of the chopped vegetables and the corn.
Step-7. Then, fold the tortillas over, cover with sauce and roll them into a burrito-like shape before placing them in a hot oven to allow them to get slightly brown on both sides.
Step-8. Remove the burritos from the oven and add some of the sauce to each one before returning them to the oven for a few more minutes.
Step-9. Serve immediately with a bowl of steaming hot soybeans on the side and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Of Tejate Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Health Benefits Of Tejate Recipe
1. Tejate is considered a healthy food due to its colorful ingredients
2. Tejate is a great source of vitamin A, thiamine, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, and niacin.
3. Tejate contains many different vitamins and minerals that are essential to the human body
4. Tejate is an excellent source of fiber which aids in healthy digestion and keeps your gastrointestinal tract moving along smoothly
5. Tejate is a great source of calcium which helps to keep your bones strong and healthy
6. Tejate is an excellent source of protein, which aids in the building of muscles and aids in digestion
7. Tejate contains a healthy amount of dietary fiber, which helps to keep you full after eating instead of being hungry soon after eating a meal
8. Tejate is rich in minerals and vitamins that are vital to the human body
9. Tejate is rich in calcium which helps to keep your bones strong and healthy
10. Tejate is a good source of potassium which helps to keep your blood pressure under control.
11. Tejate is an excellent source of vitamin C, which aids in preventing colds and influenza and acts as an anti-aging agent.
Is It Healthy?
The tejate recipe is a very healthy meal that provides your body with many vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. It is filled with ingredients like avocados, beans, and tomatoes that are good sources of antioxidants that help prevent cell damage in your body.
The cotija cheese in this recipe also aids in the prevention of cancer due to its high calcium content. This cheese contains monounsaturated fats, which help keep your heart healthy and prevent your LDL cholesterol from becoming oxidized, which may be a factor in cardiovascular disease.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze the tejate recipe by following these steps:
1. Separate the tortillas into individual servings and place them in a plastic bag or container with a lid.
2. Place each tortilla in a single layer on top of parchment paper placed on top of a cookie sheet with sides.
3. Place the tortillas in your freezer and allow them to freeze.
4. Once they are frozen, put each tortilla servings into their plastic bag with a label on it.
5. Place these bags of tejate recipe in another plastic bag and place it back into the freezer until you are ready to use it.
6. You can reheat the tortillas by placing them in a 400 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes or until they have been heated thoroughly.
How Much Does It Cost?
It is very difficult to determine a price for tejate because it can be purchased in many different ways. You can buy the ingredients for this recipe individually, or you can buy them pre-made at your local grocery store and even from your local farmers’ market.
If you have the ingredients already, it may cost you less than $2 per serving. However, if you do not have some of the ingredients (like avocado), this recipe may cost more than $10 per serving.
The tejate recipe is a very healthy meal low in fat, high in fiber and protein, and loaded with vitamins. The ingredients used contain antioxidants that can help protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Additionally, the cotija cheese contains monounsaturated fat, which has been linked to heart health and can prevent oxidized cholesterol from accumulating in your system.
Additionally, the tejate recipe is a great way to get some greens into your diet.