The Taiwanese Castella cake recipe is one of the most famous pastry in Taiwan. The Taiwanese Castella cake is made with a sponge cake topped with walnuts, sliced almonds, whipped cream, and then toasted coconut shavings.
It is believed that castella were first introduced to Taiwan during the Japanese occupation of Taiwan. During the Japanese occupation, there were no bakeries in Taiwan, and therefore people had to bake day and night after they returned home from work.
Therefore, it was said that the Taiwanese Castella cake recipe came into being because of this reason.
The Taiwanese castella cake has a good texture and an original flavor with more than twenty years of selling history for many generations of Taiwan.
However, this cake is very tasty and very easy to make. Today we will learn how to make this cake.
How To Make Taiwanese Castella Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 20 mins.
Cooking Time: 25 mins.
- 100g sugar
- 100g castor sugar or cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle of milk (400 ml)
- 100g soft butter
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter or oil
Combine eggs with sugar in a small bowl as you mix it well.
Using a mixer, mix flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Pour it into the egg and sugar mixture. Mix it until all the flour is completely mixed with the egg mixture.
In another mixing bowl, heat milk and vanilla with soft butter until it become warm (but not hot). This is for cooling the butter for mixing later in the cake recipe process.
Pour the mixture of egg mixture, butter, and warm milk into the flour mixture and stir it well. Take a round pastry bag and pipe it into a large round pastry bag enclosed with star clamps or a piping bag into a circle shape.
Pipe the cake batter in circles on a parchment paper-covered table. If you want the band-shaped cake, pipe the batter in circles around a plate that has been lined with parchment paper. Let it sit for 20 minutes to cool down, then turn off the oven.
After 20 minutes, turn on the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
After 20 minutes, turn the oven off and leave it for 30 minutes to cool down. Ensure that the oven temperature is set at 180 degrees Celsius as you take out the castella cake from the oven after baking.
After 30 minutes, remove the castella cake from the oven. After the castella cake has cooled down, use a knife to cut it into pieces.
Mix butter and icing sugar and melt it over a pan. After melted, pour into a bowl and refrigerate the butter while preparing another dish.
Stir the icing sugar into the cooled butter until it becomes smooth. Using a pastry bag, pipe the mixture on each castella cake piece. Sprinkle the coconut shavings between the cake slices and serve on a decorative plate or tray.
Nutrition Fact Of Taiwanese Castella Cake Recipe
Per Serving Per Serving
Best 6 Health Benefits Of Taiwanese Castella Cake Recipe
1. The castella cake is rich in omega 3 fatty acids and cholesterol. It helps strengthen the heart and brain.
2. This is low in saturated fat and sugar but high in calcium, phosphorus, iron, vitamin A and B12. They help in strengthening the immune system and developing body tissues.
3. This castella cake recipe is a good source of potassium which helps prevent strokes, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, kidney stones, and blossom disorders like Alzheimer’s disease.
4. It is a good source of vitamin A that helps prevent cataracts and vision loss.
5. It is a good source of zinc, which helps in immune system development and improves the sense of taste, smell and taste.
6. Castella cake recipe has fewer calories but contains plenty of calcium, phosphorus, iron, and niacin, which are important for building bones.
Can I Freeze the Taiwanese Castella cake recipe?
Of course, you can. After making this castella cake recipe, they can be frozen in an air-tight container if you have some leftovers. To serve it after freezing, leave it on the counter for 30 minutes.
Can I Substitute The Ingredient?
You can substitute the butter with a non-dairy alternative like oil, but this will change the nutritional facts and result in a different and less tasty version of the Taiwanese Castella cake recipe.
How to Freeze Leftover Castella?
Let the cake thaw at room temperature or put it in the microwave. Then you can store it in an air-tight container and freeze it again. Remember, eat the leftovers within a week after making the castella cake recipe.
The Taiwanese Castella cake recipe is one of the most famous pastry in Taiwan. This cake recipe is simple and easy to make.
The taste is very delicious, and the texture is light, spongy, and soft. You can serve it with tea, coffee, or milk as an evening snack or say good morning with a gentle smile on your face!