The Sundrop pound cake recipe is a Southern dessert made with buttermilk, sugar, and brown sugar. The recipe was created in the United States in the nineteenth century.
The cake is traditionally made using an 8-inch (20 cm) cast-iron skillet or ovenproof dish greased with butter or shortening.
It can be eaten warm as a coffee cake, cooled to room temperature, served on its own as a dessert cake, or served cold. It is also commonly cut into squares, sliced horizontally into three pieces, and served as a breakfast dish.
Sundrop pound cake is a variation of the traditional pound cake, which uses buttermilk instead of milk. It can be found in many kitchens from coastal Maine to the Deep South. The original recipe was published by the Women’s Institute for Domestic Arts and Sciences in 1923.
How To Make Sundrop Pound Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 15 min
Total Time: 1 hour 20 min
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup margarine
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 fluid ounces citrus-flavored soda
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly stir the flour, soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and shortening.
Gradually add the liquid ingredients to the dry blend, stirring after each addition to ensure no clumps of flour remain in the batter.
Next, add the lemon juice, vanilla extract, and buttermilk. Stir in gently.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 60 minutes on a center rack of an oven preheated to 325 F (163 C).
Let the baked cake stand for five minutes after being removed from the oven. Serve warm with cream cheese or whipped cream if you like.
Nutrition Facts Of Sundrop Pound Cake Recipe
Best 11 Healthy Benefits Of Sundrop Pound Cake Recipe
1. It is low in cholesterol and good for people with heart conditions.
2. It is a rich vitamin E, niacin, and folic acid source.
3. It has high dietary fiber manganese and is a very good source of copper and calcium.
4. It has been found to help weight loss as it keeps you full for longer periods due to high fiber content.
5. It also helps lower the risk of Type-2 diabetes as it has a low glycemic index and does not cause a spike in blood sugar levels after eating.
6. The fruit juices used in this recipe can help reduce bad cholesterol levels.
7. The margarine used in the preparation of this cake contains no trans-fat. So it can be consumed by people suffering from conditions like cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
8. Sundrop pound cake helps prevent cancer as it is rich in antioxidants and contains no trans-fat or cholesterol.
9. It is rich in vitamins and minerals like folate, calcium, and iron.
10. Sundrop pound cake helps boost the immune system as it contains a high amount of antioxidants.
11. Sundrop pound cake reduces the risk of coronary artery disease because it contains very less amount of salt and saturated fat.
How To Store Sundrop Pound Cake Recipe?
Sun drop pound cake recipe can be kept stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
How To Freeze Sundrop Pound Cake Recipe?
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Allow the Sundrop Pound Cake to cool completely, remove the pan and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap.
2. Transfer the wrapped pan back into the refrigerator until cooled completely and place it in the freezer in its original wrapping for a minimum of 3 months.
3. For best results, slice the Sundrop Pound Cake into squares and rewrap each piece individually in plastic wrap, labeled with a permanent marker.
Is It Good For Everybody?
The answer is yes! Sundrop pound cake is good for everybody. However, people suffering from allergies should consult their health care provider to know about the ingredients used in this recipe and then consume it.
A delicious and easy-to-make cake that you can make different variations by changing the fruit juices used. It is a wholesome cake recipe that will make your family and friends happy while they enjoy it.
Sundrop pound cake is a very popular American dessert regarded as a Southern favorite. It has so many health benefits, and it is absolutely good for everybody.