Shirley Temple Cake Recipe is a cake that you can make from the comfort of your own home. You never had to run up to a bakery and pay for one before!
This show-stopping cake has been around for decades and is loved by many. In no time at all, you will have made this delicious dessert for yourself or your next party.
How to make Shirley Temple Cake Recipe
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons of hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 small jars of maraschino cherries,
- Food coloring gels for tinting the frosting.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and let it cool. Mix cherry syrup with the hot water, extract, and food coloring gel if using one (for the maraschino cherries).
3. Sift together flour and salt; add baking soda and baking powder to this mixture.
4. Add in butter and mix until it is smooth.
5. Add in sugar and mix until the ingredients are incorporated.
6. To this mixture, add in all the cherry syrup/water mixture and stir until smooth.
7. Add in all the cherries along with the food coloring gel if using one.
8. Pour batter into an 8″ round cake pan, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake (if using one).
9. Let the cake cool in the pan(s) for 10 minutes and then remove it from the pan and let it cool completely.
10. To frost, make your favorite icing at home or purchase one from a store that sells icing flavors.
11. Frost the top of the cake with your favorite frosting recipe from a store that sells icing flavors or makes one at home using an eggless recipe or just using plain milk and powdered sugar for texture (which is what I did).
12. To decorate, use red, green, orange, and yellow food coloring gels to dye different cake parts in different colors (like I originally did).
13. Decorate with cherries and flowers.
14. If you are making the cake for a party, let the cake cool completely until set, then slice it into individual servings and wrap them individually in cellophane.
15. Keep the cake cool and repeat Step 12 to decorate the cake for your next party.
16. If you have any extra of this cake, you can slice it into individual servings (single slices) and use it as a snack or make a sandwich out of it or eat it with some pudding/custard (like I did).
17. Keep the cake in the fridge until your next party; then, slice and decorate it again with an eggless frosting if using one.
18. You can also experiment with cake mixes to make a quicker version of this cake for any party that you may need it for.
19. The cake will also keep in a cooler at all times; make sure you wrap it in plastic/cellophane so that it is not exposed to air – or eat it all before the next party!
Nutrition facts of Shirley Temple Cake Recipe
|Calories from Fat||340|
Health Benefits of Shirley Temple Cake Recipe
The cake is high in calcium, so it helps develop and maintain strong bones and teeth. As a result, eating this cake can help to prevent osteoporosis.
This delicious treat is high in essential fatty acids (EFAs) that help with learning, heart health, and maximizing energy levels.
This cake can lower blood pressure by regulating blood flow to all organs in the body due to the antioxidants present in cherries and the red coloring gel used here. Low blood pressure assists the transport of oxygen, which works out better for the heart and your brain.
Shirley Temple Cake Recipe can lower cholesterol levels as it is high in fiber and contains a lot of potassium, calcium, and fiber.
The cherries also contain many phytochemicals (plant chemicals) that help prevent many diseases, including heart diseases.
Eating cherries helps to promote healthy skin by giving it a natural glow. It helps protect the body from aging because of the antioxidants present in it.
Is It Suitable For Pregnant Women?
Most of the ingredients used in this cake are all-natural and can be consumed by pregnant women. Thus, eating this cake can be healthy for the mother and her baby.
It is recommended that pregnant women consume cherries, as they are known to reduce inflammation throughout the body, leading to less cramping during pregnancy.
Studies have shown that eating cherries also helps with blood pressure regulation, and it is a good source of calcium for the body.
Is It Good For Diabetic Patients?
Most of the ingredients used in this cake are safe for people with diabetes. Cherries are also known to be a good source of fiber, which is helpful for diabetic patients. The fiber content will also help one feel full longer, necessary while maintaining a diabetic diet.
However, the high amount of butter in this cake can cause people with diabetes to experience a significant spike in blood sugar levels. Hence, people with diabetes should occasionally consume this cake and not regularly.
Is It Good For Losing Weight?
This cake can be good for losing weight because it is high in antioxidants, which help with detoxification and cleansing. The antioxidants present in cherries help prevent diseases and prolong one’s life.
The vitamins B6 and magnesium present in this cake also plays a crucial role in detoxifying the liver. This helps to remove all harmful chemicals from the body and thus,
reduces fat buildup and toxins that may be causing weight gain. The butter content in this cake also makes it great for losing weight.
Are There Any Side Effects?
There is no known side effect associated with this cake. However, due to the high amount of butter, in this case, one may experience a significant increase in blood sugar levels. Therefore, diabetic patients should consume this cake only occasionally.
How Quick Can This Cake Be Made?
This cake can be made in approximately 15 minutes. It takes longer to make the cherries and cherries used in the cake, so it can be made even in just a few minutes if you have them ready.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
This cake is not suitable for freezing. However, this cake can be sliced and used as desserts for parties.
Can This Cake Be Made Ahead?
This cake can be made ahead of time; refrigerate it after making and decorating the cake.
The Bottom Line
Shirley Temple Cake Recipe is never a dull moment in our household because my husband’s job, which he loves dearly, is to entertain his clients.
Sometimes we have to host parties for them, and I make all kinds of snacks and dishes; I even make traditional Indian Desserts from time to time.
In this post, I am sharing a recipe for the most popular dessert that kids made after watching the movie- The Shirley Temple.