Preacher Cake Recipe is a special cake that revolves around one simple recipe. The cake is made from brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder.
The two-ingredient icing contains only powdered sugar and milk. It is pretty simple to make since it only has six ingredients in total!
This cake makes the perfect gift for children with a very warm message of love and support at its heart.
How to make Preacher Cake Recipe
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter (preferably vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
1. preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and cocoa).
2. Beat eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until well mixed. Stir in oil, vanilla, and then sour milk. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Pour into pans and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the pans.
5. Have two containers of powdered sugar for icing and two containers of milk (1 cup each).
6. Mix 1/2 cup of milk with 1 cup of powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
7. Spread the icing over the cakes, allow them to dry, and then repeat with a second coat.
8. Leave some icing in the bowl with the extra powdered sugar and add a few drops of water to make a thicker consistency. If you plan to put candles on top of the cake, wait until both layers are completely dry before lighting them up.
Nutrition facts of Preacher Cake Recipe
|saturated fat||1.5 g|
Health Benefits of Preacher Cake Recipe
The preacher cake recipe is low in cholesterol and sodium. This easy-to-make cake is a good source of protein, dietary fiber, B vitamins, zinc, calcium, and iron.
The milk you use in the icing provides calcium and vitamin D to your body. If you choose not to put candles on the cake, it can help fight plaque formation, leading to cavities.
Amazing 5 Freezing Ideas of Preacher Cake Recipe
1. Place a sticker of an angel or religious symbol in the middle of the cake (you can add a little bit of icing to it).
2. Prepare one cake and make a Santa Clause beard out of red and white frosting.
3. Color a plated black to make it look like brimstone is flowing out of the backside of Satan’s head.
4. Feed this icing onto pretzels to make them look like the fire is igniting them.
5. Stuff the icing into small plastic bags and tie it up to look like fire.
History of Preacher Cake Recipe
Preacher cake recipe has a history that dates back to the 19th Century when it was first made in Germany.
Preacher cake is also known as Dutch Windmill Cake, Sugar Funnel Cake, or funnel cake. Dutch windmills are known for their four sails lifted by the wind.
The cakes are shaped like a windmill, and the tradition of making them began when tinned goods were scarce during World War I.
Price In Preacher Cake Recipe
The price of a preacher cake will vary from state to state. The ingredients may cost anywhere from 7 to 20 dollars in most supermarkets or dollar stores.
As of June 2014, cake decorating supply websites sell the cake decorating kit that includes sprinkles and a cone-shaped plastic nozzle for $11.99.
Is It Healthy?
The preacher cake recipe is not healthy because it contains eggs and milk. Although the icing does not have any fat, it is still made with non-dairy milk containing saturated fat.
Although the recipe does not have too many calories, it does contain a high amount of sugar. Burning the cake can be unhealthy if doing so releases carbon monoxide into the air.
This gas can be harmful to body cells and linked to deaths in infants from sleep apnea and children from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
How to store?
Store the frosted cake in an airtight container away from direct light. If you want to keep the cake moist, store it in a container with a damp paper towel.
The un-iced cake can also be stored in an airtight plastic bag and placed into the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
The Bottom Line
The preacher cake recipe is a great dessert to feed your family and friends. Everyone will enjoy the delicious cake since it is made with simple ingredients commonly found at most supermarkets.
Keep in mind that this dish can be unhealthy if too much frosting is put on it or burned while preparing it.