The prawn curry Bengali recipe is an excellent dish and a famous dish in Bengali cuisine. It is made with shrimp, coconut milk, and fresh spices. This recipe can be cooked in either a skillet or pressure cooker without any changes to the traditional cooking process.
It has a perfect blend of flavors, including wheat flour, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and mustard oil, giving this recipe its distinct flavor.
This recipe shows how to make a prawn curry Bengali recipe for those who don’t know how to cook the dish. This recipe will be appreciated by those who want to start cooking and those who are looking for a quick, tasty, and scrumptious prawn curry Bengali recipe without having to spend much time in the kitchen.
If you are looking for an easy prawn curry Bengali recipe, then this is it. This recipe is so simple that even a beginner cook can make it. This dish will bring a new flavor to your dinner party and can also be served at potlucks and get-togethers.
You can easily make this recipe at home. This recipe will be great for brunch or dinner. This is a very easy and simple recipe. The preparation time is not very long. This recipe will help you cook the dish the fastest way possible so that you get the best taste of this dish with minimum effort.
How To Make Prawn Curry Bengali Recipe?
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients For Prawn Curry Bengali Recipe
- 400g sustainable raw king prawns
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped tomatoes from a tin
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 onion, finely chopped
- 30g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric (Like Quantity)
- Salt to tasted
1. First of all, butterfly the prawns by peeling the bodies and deveining.
2. Season the prawns with salt and pepper and set aside for 30 minutes to walk off any excess moisture.
3. Heat up a wok or a skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the mustard seeds and bay leaves, then dry and toss for about 20 seconds or until they start to pop lightly (don’t burn, though).
4. Add in the chopped garlic and ginger, stir fry for 15 seconds, and add in the curry powder, ground wheat flour, and one teaspoon of turmeric. Mix well, cook for about 30 seconds, then add the raw prawns.
5. Toss to coat everything evenly with spices, and cook for about 2 minutes until the prawns have opaque shells with no clear visible areas (very important!). Add the raw tomatoes, boiling water, and sugar, stirring it well.
6. Add the prawn curry sauce to the prawns and give everything a good stir.
7. Simmer for a further 3 minutes and then turn off the heat, cover with a lid and let it sit for another 5 minutes.
8. Break down any big chunks of prawns into smaller pieces and discard the shells.
9. Finally, add the cashews, coconut, garam masala (if using), the remaining turmeric, and salt and mix well. Serve prawn curry Bengali recipe hot with some rotis or flatbreads.
Use larger prawns that are easier to handle and cook. Transfer all the ingredients into a blender (vegetable one is fine) and blend until it becomes a smooth paste.
Nutrition Facts Of Prawn Curry Bengali Recipe
- Calories: 339.0
- Carbohydrates: 31.0
- Fat: 21.0 g
- Protein: 20.0 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Net Carbs: 27.1 g
- Sodium: 315 mg
7 Amazing Serving Ideas For Prawn Curry Bengali Recipe
Rice dishes go really well with the prawn curry Bengali recipe. Serve it with a bowl of rice and ketchup or other tomato-based condiments.
Add a quick and easy prawn curry Bengali recipe to gourmet burgers for a great meal! This recipe pairs well with lettuce wraps.
3. Stir Fries
Replace the prawns in some stir fry sauces and noodles or on top of other dishes. You can also use it to add a special twist to salads!
Use as a sauce on rice or with chicken/lamb/veal curries! It’s delicious with lamb, chicken, and vegetables.
The prawn curry Bengali recipe is a great addition to salads. This recipe will also work as a dip for fresh vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce.
6. Fried Rice
Fried rice can be an excellent addition to prawn cuisine. Add it to your next stir fry and make it more interesting!
7. Cocktail Sauce
Pair this with martinis and other cocktails! Don’t hesitate to try out mixing the prawn curry Bengali recipe with your favorite drink.
You can try out making the prawn curry Bengali recipe on your own. This dish is easy to make, and you will learn so many new cooking techniques. Plus, it’s a healthy and fresh dish that can be made for any occasion! This recipe will provide you with the best taste of Bengali food with minimum effort.
The dish is easy to make, and you can cook it within 30 minutes. This recipe can be served as a starter or a side dish, but it tastes great when served with roti, naan, or naan bread (large or small). This recipe can be prepared in a pressure cooker without any changes to the original recipe.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this Bengali prawn curry Bengali recipe as much as I love this dish. Don’t forget to share your first experience with this dish with us. You can share your opinion through comments.
Thanks for reading it!