The potato and spinach curry recipe is a low-calorie, vegan meal with mixed vegetables and potatoes. It’s flavorful, filling, and loaded with vegetables. A great dish to make for the whole family on a busy day!
This recipe is best used soon after cooking to retain the goodness of the antioxidants and nutrients. However, you can freeze this curry for up to 3 months if you wish to save it for a later date.
How to make Potato and spinach curry recipe?
Preparation Time: 35 minutes.
Cooking time: 40 minutes.
Ingredients for Potato and spinach curry recipe:
- 3 pounds fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, diced in medium chunks
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chile
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the potatoes in a medium pot with enough water until fork tender. Drain and set aside. Place the chopped spinach in a large pan and cook it without oil until wilted (about 5 minutes).
2. Add one tablespoon of oil to the same pan, then add onion, green chile, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper. Saute the onions for about 5 minutes until the onions get slightly browned, and the whole mixture is slightly roasted. Set this aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in another pan, add potatoes and saute for 1-2 minutes on each side until browned (do not overcook). Add turmeric and cook for 2-3 more minutes on each side. Mix spinach, cooked potatoes, and onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with warm rice, tuvar dal roti, or naan bread.
If you are interested in making this recipe vegan, you only have to add 2 tablespoons of oil. If you wish to make it gluten-free, substitute the turmeric with curry powder or sub a curry sauce for this recipe
This is a very simple and delicious recipe for a hearty meal on rainy winter days. It is best served hot with butter naan bread or rice! You can also freeze potatoes and spinach separately and reheat them together.
Nutrition Facts of Potato and spinach curry recipe
Nutrition per serving: 248 calories
- Calories: 200 calories
- Fat: 3.1 g (0.8 g saturated)
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 752 mg (45% DV)
- Carbohydrates: 36.5 g (7% DV)
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Sugars: 7.3 g
- Protein: 6.7 g
5 Best health benefits of the Potato and spinach curry recipe
1. Antioxidants in Spinach
This recipe contains abundant antioxidants that protect the body against cellular damage, which can lead to cancer and heart disease. The iron content of spinach is essential for preventing anemia, and low levels of iron increase susceptibility to infections.
2. Potatoes and Spinach have Vitamin C
Both spinach and potatoes have high levels of vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and protects against colds, coughs, flu, diabetes, arthritis, and tooth decay. They also slow down the process of aging and increase the body’s ability to repair damaged cells.
3. High in Potassium and Low in Sodium
Potatoes are known for their high levels of potassium, which is necessary for the proper functioning of the body, as it controls heart rate and blood pressure. Potassium is often lost through sweat during exercise, or when you overexert yourself, so it can be easily replaced by adding a couple of potatoes to your diet.
4. Potatoes are a Good Source of Fiber
Both the potatoes and spinach contain excellent levels of fiber, which aid digestion and prevent constipation. Fiber also improves the appearance of your skin and reduces the risk of certain cancers. The Potato’s high fiber content keeps you feeling fuller for longer, thus reducing the urge to snack on fatty foods when you are tired or bored.
5. Low in Fat
People who switch to the potato and spinach curry recipe can keep their total fat intake low. Spinach contains almost no saturated fat, while potatoes have very little. Their fiber content makes them lower in calories than many other vegetables; this way, you can eat more without worrying about adding too much fat or calories to your diet.
The potato and spinach curry recipe is also an excellent dietary fiber source, lowering blood cholesterol levels.
Is Potato and spinach curry recipe good for everybody?
The potato and spinach curry recipe is healthy for almost everybody. However, people taking blood-thinning medications should consult their doctor before trying this recipe.
Some research suggests that potatoes may contain pesticides, which could harm pregnant women or those with thyroid and kidney problems.
The potato and spinach curry recipe is a low-calorie, vegan dish that offers a filling, balanced meal. It’s flavorful, full of vegetables and protective antioxidants. A great choice for families on a busy schedule.
I hope you enjoyed this vegan potato and spinach curry recipe. Do try it out with your families, friends, and loved ones.
Please let me know how you liked the recipe in the comments below. Please share your feedback and keep checking back for more tasty vegan recipes from me.
Thanks for reading! And see you soon! Take care.