Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe Is a Traditional Kerala Recipe. Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe is one of the most popular dishes in Indian Cuisine. It is a type of curry mostly made with coconut milk which has a strong aroma, sweet taste, and a slight hint of sourness.
This dish originates from India, but today, it can be found in almost every South East Asian country. Nadan Chicken Curry Recipes are also widely available at restaurants throughout the world, including those serving Indian food such as Thai curries or Malaysian laksas.
What Is Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe?
Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe is one of Kerala’s most popular non-vegetarian dishes. This dish originates from Kerala State in India.
The name Nadan or Nadan Chicken Curry is derived from the Tamil word Nadan which means chicken. The dish also contains coconut milk and coconut oil to give it a creamy taste with a buttery texture due to the high amount of butter.
How To Prepare Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe?
Prepare Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Chicken [cut into small pieces] – 1 kg
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli – 2 nos.
- Poppy Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Maggi / Knorr Gravy Powder – 2 cups (for non-veg) or 4 tbsp (for veg)
- Coconut Milk – 3 cups (or as per taste) Method Wash the chicken. Cut it into medium-sized pieces.
Step 1. In a wok, heat some oil. Add the onions, ginger, and red chili. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
Step 2. Add the chicken pieces and let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the color changes to white.
Step 3. Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, and salt to taste. Stir well and cook for a few more minutes until it evaporates (5 minutes).
Step 4. Add the raw rice and let it roast slightly. Stir in well.
Step 5. Add water and maggi sauce, and cover the wok with a lid for about 5 minutes or till the water evaporates completely.
Step 6. Add 2 cups of coconut milk to the chicken mixture and stir well with a spatula. Cover the lid again and let it simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or till you see little bubbles breaking through the rice layer on top.
Step 7. Add the remaining coconut milk (1 cup). Cover with a lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
Step 8. Serve hot with white rice and some curry leaves on top.
How To Serve Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe?
Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe can be served with some plain white rice or your favorite Indian bread like roti.
Some of the popular varieties of this dish are Thingyan or Pongal or kheer, or payasam. You can also try different variations of this dish, like Pongal Nadan Chicken Curry, prepared as per Nadan Chicken Curry Recipes.
Nutrition Fact Of Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe
Amount Per Serving
- Sodium-36 mg
- Protein-28.9 g
- Carbohydrates-42.8 g
- Fats-15.2 g
- Amino acids-6.5 g
- Thiamine-0.009 mg (8%)
- Riboflavin-0.066 mg (39%)
- Niacin-2.57 mg (18%)
- Calcium-264 mg (26%)
- Iron-1.1 mg (4%)
- Magnesium-61 mg (14%)
- Phosphor-24 mg (8%)
Which is the main food of Kerala?
Kerala is an Indian state in the Southwestern part of the country, sharing a land border with Tamil Nadu to the north and Karnataka to the east. Kerala is one of India’s 32 states and 7 union territories.
It shares boundaries with the state of Karnataka to the north, northeast, and east, Tamil Nadu to the south and southwest, the Arabian Sea on three sides, and the Lakshadweep Sea on its western side.
5 Healthy Benefits Of Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe
1. Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe is a very healthy dish. It has a lot of fiber, protein, and vitamins in it.
2. Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe is high in fiber. It is easily absorbed by your body and helps lower cholesterol levels in the blood.
3. Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe contains a high amount of protein. Protein helps reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer, among other things related to blood pressure and cholesterol levels in the body.
4. Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe contains a lot of micronutrients such as Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and B2 (Riboflavin). It also contains Magnesium, Phosphor, and Iron, which are very important for the body.
5. Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe is good for your skin. It contains a high amount of essential minerals like Potassium and Selenium that help in the production of collagen, which has an anti-aging effect on the skin and its anti-inflammatory properties.
Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe can be made with or without onions, ginger, and chili, depending on your taste. You can also adjust the amount of red chili powder or coconut milk depending on how spicy your dish is. This recipe is a Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe variation and still retains the original flavors. What’s more, you will have it ready within 30 minutes!
1. Before serving, garnish it with fresh coconut pieces for added flavor.
2. You can also store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate them. It gets better over time.
3. If you like your curry spicy, add red chili when preparing base gravy.
4. You can also include onions, ginger, and curry leaves (or curry powder) in the gravy instead of red chili. This increases the flavor.
5. Increase or decrease the amount of red chili as per your taste.
6. If you find that the coconut milk is curdled or foamy, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to make it smooth again.
7. If your pickles are too sour, add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to them.
8. You can also try some other the Nadan Chicken Curry Recvariations ipe by substituting red chili with green chili or the coriander powder with garam masala or cumin powder. You can opt for seasonings like garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg instead of red chili and turmeric to add flavors to your curry in a different way.
Nadan Chicken Curry Recipe is an authentic dish that generations have well loved. It’s simple, delicious, and healthy. It is believed that people who eat this dish are protected from high blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and heart disease, among other things related to the food they eat.