The Malaysian chicken curry recipe roti canai is a dish from Malaysia. The dish is made with chicken, onions, garlic, and curry powder. The flavors are then enhanced with coconut milk and peanut butter.
The Malaysian chicken curry roti canai has two variations, one cooked in a Thai style while the other in a Malaysian style. Today we will learn how to cook this recipe in Malaysian style and what ingredients are needed.
This recipe is done in two steps. The first step is to cook the curry chicken. This is done with oil, onions, garlic, and curry powder. It is added to the chicken. The second step is to cook the roti canai. It is fried with oil, onions, and garlic. This recipe is easy to make but best served with curry chicken.
The final product is a tasty meal that can be made in less than an hour. This recipe will help you prepare the Malaysian chicken curry recipe roti canai. The Malaysian chicken curry recipe roti canai is an ideal meal for friends and family. Serve this dish with a paw, cucumber, and sambal belacan.
The meal is also great with other side dishes like stir-fried kangkong or steamed rice. This recipe is a very popular dish in the Indian subcontinent.
How To Make Malaysian Chicken Curry Recipe Roti Canai?
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Ingredients For The Malaysian Chicken Curry Recipe Roti Canai
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 100g ghee or clarified butter, melted
- 600g (3 cups) plain flour
- 60ml (¼ cup) milk, plus extra if necessary
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp caster sugar, or to taste
- 800 g chicken thighs
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bruised and cut in half lengthways
- 3 long red chilies, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp Nyonya curry paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 400ml coconut milk
- 400g green beans, trimmed and cut into 5cm lengths
- A handful of coriander leaves, roughly torn
- Salt and pepper to tasted
Method For The Malaysian Chicken Curry Recipe Roti Canai
1. Gently mix the flour and egg in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add sufficient water to form a soft dough. The amount of water needed may vary according to climate conditions, so adjust accordingly.
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth, then place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
3. Meanwhile, make the curry paste by blending all ingredients together in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
4. Heat the oil and ghee in a heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat and fry the chicken for 5 minutes, occasionally turning until just cooked through. Add the curry paste, stock, and turmeric and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced to a thick gravy. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken, shallots, and chilies, and fry for 5 minutes until golden.
6. In a food processor, blend the curry paste until smooth. Push through a sieve into a large bowl to remove any lumps before adding the shallots and chicken mixture, ghee, garlic, cinnamon, lemongrass, and 1 tbsp soy sauce. Stir through before cooking for 15 minutes. For the Malaysian-style roti canai: Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.
7. Meanwhile, make the roti canai. Put the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the salt, and mix in the oil and butter to form a soft dough.
8. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth, then rest for 30 minutes before rolling out as thin as possible on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Alternatively, use two sheets of cling film to roll out the dough between them until paper thin – this makes it easier to form into wedges afterward.
9. Cut the dough into 4cm wide strips and roll each strip lengthways between your hands to form long thin strands. Repeat with remaining dough and store in an airtight container until needed.
10. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat, then add the curry and cook for 20 minutes or until thickened slightly. Add the stock and green beans, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes or until beans are tender. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes before stirring through the coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, and remaining soy sauce.
11. Heat a dry frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the roti canai in batches for 1 minute or until golden brown and puffy, then set aside on kitchen paper.
12. Serve the curry with roti canai, slices of paw, and cucumber drizzled with sambal belacan.
Nutrition Facts Of Malaysian Chicken Curry Recipe Roti Canai
- Calories: 597 Kcal
- Carbs: 56.1 g
- Protein: 26.1 g
- Fat: 36.9 g
- Fiber: 2
Best 6 Health Benefits Of Malaysian Chicken Curry Recipe Roti Canai
1. It is healthy due to its high protein and low-fat content.
2. It treats your body with antioxidants.
3. It can be considered a weight-loss food because it is rich in fiber, which keeps you fuller longer.
4. It can lower the risk of cancer and heart disease because of its key ingredients like turmeric, ginger, and garlic, which are antioxidants and anti-cancer foods.
5. It keeps your skin healthy and makes it smooth.
6. It is good for people with stomach ulcers, diabetes, and blood pressure.
All Malaysian food lovers must make the Malaysian chicken curry recipe roti canai once. It is a tasty dish that you should try. This recipe is easy to make and best served with curry chicken. The final product tastes very good. Store the remaining curry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
This recipe will help you to learn how to cook the Malaysian chicken curry recipe roti canai at home. The Malaysian chicken curry recipe roti canai is an ideal meal for friends and family.
I hope you like the Malaysian chicken curry recipe roti canai, and if you want, you can share this recipe on your favorite social media sites.
If you have any queries or opinions, you can comment below to share them with us.