Magnolia bakery chocolate cake recipe that you can make for a birthday, surprise someone special, or just because you’re feeling fancy. This recipe includes step-by-step instructions and helpful tips on cooking and serving this classic dessert.
The perfect chocolate cake that’s moist and has the right sweetness! This recipe is so easy to make and is always a hit. This recipe is also a winner for kids – it’s not too sweet, and the chocolate flavor is subtle.
Magnolia bakery chocolate cake recipe is rich and flavorful that it just melts in your mouth. So, this is the best chocolate cake recipe for you to make.
If you are fond of chocolate, you need to try the Magnolia bakery chocolate cake recipe that is moist, rich, and chocolaty.
How To Make Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 25 Min
Cook Time: 35 Min
This recipe serves: 12-16
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional) (see table below for links) 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dutch process)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter (plus extra for the pans)
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar (you can add a little more or less sugar here) (see table below for links) 3/4 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans. I used a combo of butter and shortening.
3. Line with parchment paper and let it overhang on the sides so you can easily lift the cake when it’s baked (this will come in handy later).
4. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together to combine. In another bowl, quickly whisk eggs(see table below for link for egg quantities), oil, milk, vanilla extract, and sugar together until creamy (about 2 minutes). Then add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and gently fold until combined. Don’t over mix.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then gently remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before topping with glaze.
7. To make the glaze, mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and reduce until thick, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
8. When the cake has cooled, poke holes with a toothpick all over the top of the cake and pour glaze slowly over it until it soaks up. Allow the glaze to set (about 10 minutes) before serving.
9. Spoon any extra glaze in a resealable plastic bag, cut off a small piece of the bottom corner and squeeze the glaze over the top of the cake. You can make the extra glaze and store it for other occasions.
Nutrition Facts Of Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe
5 Helpful Tips For Cooking/Serving
1. Glaze can be made a day in advance. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Glaze with thickened consistency should be heated to thin it out slightly before using.
2. I used cake flour for this recipe, but you can easily substitute it with all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour (for reduced calories).
3. You can use an 8-inch square pan instead of 9×5-inch loaf pans if you want to make a cake layer.
4. The chocolate cake will be moist and rich, but if you want to make it richer, use 3/4 cup of chocolate chips (as a topping).
5. I used an old-fashioned chef’s knife to make this cake. You can use a serrated knife instead of the chef’s knife to cut the cake.
Is It Healthy Food?
Yes, they are!
You can add fruit and nuts (peanuts) to your cake. If you don’t like fruit, then use chocolate chips. It is up to you how much fruit or nuts you want to add.
I used them in this recipe to make it taste better but not have too much of them, or else it will taste bland. You can also use a whole strawberry instead of a strawberry paste.
How Much Fat Do You Use In Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe?
I used shortening in the cake. You can easily make it vegan by using non-hydrogenated oil instead of shortening.
What Is Magnolia Bakery Most Famous For?
They are most famous for their cupcakes and desserts. Other popular items are Magnolia brownies, Magnolia fudge, Magnolia strawberry icing, Magnolia rice pudding, and Magnolia cupcakes.
They have the perfect balance of sweet, smooth chocolate baked goods and classic Southern charm. The bakery was founded in 1985 by Sylvia and John Maddox when they opened a bakery on their family farm in Beaufort County, SC. In 1990 they moved to Columbia, expanding their menu to include tarts and puddings.
How Do You Make The Magnolia Bakery Swirl?
To make the Magnolia swirl, you will need to cook the chocolate and milk for 7 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently. Allow to cool, but do not refrigerate.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Gently fold into melted chocolate mixture until combined.
Pour into prepared pan and spread out as thinly as you possibly can. Refrigerate until set or overnight before serving.
Why Do People Love Magnolia Bakery?
Magnolia Bakery is known for its crunchy cupcakes and chocolate cake. They are also known for their yummy cupcakes, pastries, brownies, and pies.
You can also find them in Starbucks stores (you have to ask specifically). If you are looking for a cheap, quick, and yummy dessert in Columbia, then Magnolia bakery is the place to go.
Magnolia Bakery has also been voted as one of the places to visit in Columbia, SC. The bakery uses fresh regional products when baking their cakes and has a variety of flavors that you can choose from.
Does Magnolia Bakery Have Any Niche Items?
Magnolia Bakery has several flavors or specialty cakes exclusive to Magnolia Bakery Cupcakes. They also have a unique Magnolia Bakery cupcake.
Magnolia bakery chocolate cake is a rich, moist, and delicious chocolate cake that you can enjoy. It’s a fantastic accompaniment to a cup of coffee or tea.
This chocolate cake recipe is healthy and yummy, with subtle hints of vanilla. This cake is simply wonderful delicious. You can use it as a filling or a dessert.
If you wish to make your chocolate cake healthier, then use whole wheat flour and substitute the shortening for the butter.
You can also remove the icing from this delicious vanilla chocolate cake recipe, but it does not take away from the richness of the chocolate flavor. This is a really good base for your recipe.