The Khichdi recipe Pakistani is a rice-based dish part of Indian cuisine. It is also known as Kitchari in some parts of the world.
It is made by cooking rice and lentils together in a pot which creates a creamy texture and has plenty of protein. Hot spices are used to give it its characteristic flavour. This dish can be served with hot water or with some dal gravy on top to make it extra tasty.
It is a healthy dish mainly consumed during winters to prepare oneself for the colder days. It also helps to soothe a sore throat, cough and it can act as a remedy for headaches.
Although this dish is popular in Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan, it has several variations worldwide. Let us know more about this flavorful dish in detail.
How To Make Khichdi Recipe Pakistani?
The Khichdi recipe Pakistani can be made simpler by just adding boiled rice and lentils to some onions, spices, and water. Some people also add chopped vegetables to this dish to add extra flavour.
A common variation of the Khichdi recipe Pakistani is how lentils are not cooked along with the rice.
Instead, heat is reduced, and the rice is cooked first, and then the lentils are added with water and other spices like onions and tomatoes. It is very easy to make!
- 2 cup rice
- 1 cup white or yellow lentils (puri)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 to 4 chopped green chillies (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or as per taste
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoon ghee or oil or butter (optional)
- For tempering:
- 2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds and white sesame seeds for garnishing (Bengali style khichdi )
1. Soak the rice and the lentils in water and leave them for an hour or so.
2. Meanwhile, chop the onions, tomatoes, green chillies and ginger into small pieces.
3. Heat oil on a medium flame in a pot and add the cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
4. Then add chopped onions, ginger, tomato, green chillies, turmeric powder, salt and sugar to the pot. Saute for a few minutes till all of them are soft. Mix well.
5. Transfer the above mixture to a blender and blend it. Add water if it is needed. Let the puri get smooth.
6. Heat 2 tablespoon ghee on a medium flame in another pot and add mustard seeds, let them splutter and then add the lentil puri. Mix well.
7. Now add rice, salt and water. Mix well.
8. Cover it and let it boil on a medium flame, mixing once in a while.
9. Once the rice and lentils are cooked properly, Mix well and add chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with curry or dal.
Nutrition Facts Of Khichdi Recipe Pakistani
Khichdi recipe Pakistani has more nutritional values and is a very healthy dish.
The following information can help you in improving your health through this dish.
Protein: 4.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 35 grams
Vegetables: 1.3 grams
Fat: 2.6 grams
Sodium: 16.6 grams
Iron: 3.2 milligrams
Calcium: 1.5 milligrams
Vitamin C: 5 grams
Excess sodium can lead to various problems, and this tasty dish helps improve a healthy lifestyle.
So, try adding less salt to the food you eat to experience the benefits of this recipe daily.
The Health Benefits Of Khichdi Recipe Pakistani
1. Khichdi recipe Pakistani helps in weight loss as it is a very low calorie and high fibre food.
2. It has a good amount of carbohydrates, which helps provide energy to the body.
3. Khichdi recipe Pakistani is a very good anti-ageing food because of its slow release of energy and the presence of protein and calcium in this dish.
4. It helps to cure constipation because of its high fibre content.
5. This dish can help you burn your calories as the presence of vegetables and lentils in it can burn a lot of calories and hence will help you lose weight.
6. Khichdi recipe Pakistani is rich in minerals like iron, which is vital for the proper functioning of our body systems like blood formation, cell growth, brain function etc.
7. It also has calcium essential for maintaining healthy bones and teeth.
8. Khichdi recipe Pakistani is also suitable for toddlers as it is rich in iron which helps grow healthy body tissues.
9. Also, because of its low-calorie content, it helps reduce weight in the case of those under a diet regime.
10. Potassium and natural sugar help us maintain healthy heart and heart functions.
11. Khichdi recipe Pakistani contains all the necessary nutrients to prevent diabetes and heart diseases.
Amazing 6 Freezing Ideas
1. Freezes well without any changes in flavour or texture.
2. Can freeze it in freezer-safe containers, Ziploc, and freezer bags.
3. Can be stored for up to 18 months in the freezer.
4. It can be frozen as a raw uncooked dish or cooked after adding salt and other spices to enhance its flavour.
5. It is easy to store this dish and less time-consuming.
6. It is good to stock veggies and lentils in the freezer.
Is It Suitable For Weight Loss?
Yes, this recipe is very low in calories and thus helps weight loss. This is because it is a very rich source of fibre and helps reduce the body’s fat content through its use.
This can also help you in maintaining your weight as against before.
Is It Good For Heart Patients?
Yes, it contains a good amount of calcium and protein, essential for heart patients. It is also suitable for gout problems and has no salt content.
Is It Good For Diabetics?
Yes, the Khichdi recipe offers a good amount of slow-release energy, and the presence of fibre in this dish can help you lose weight as it will help you reduce the cravings for food.
Also, the absence of salt lowers your blood sugar level, thus helping you to maintain your blood sugar levels.
Is It Good For Pregnant Mother?
Yes, it is a very nutritious food and thus helps maintain the baby’s health as it contains all required nutrients like calcium, protein, and vitamins.
Is It Safe For Toddlers?
Yes, it is an easy to digest food and thus helps grow healthy body tissues. It is also rich in iron and thus will help you grow stronger bones and teeth.
The Khichdi recipe is a complete protein food rich in nutrients like protein, carbohydrates, and vitamins.
It will help you maintain your weight , control the cravings for food, and improve your heart’s health and calcium requirement. So this dish will help you in many ways.
Thus try making it and experience its unique flavours. Thank you with all my heart for reading this article “Khichdi recipe Pakistani”.
If you have any other questions about the ingredients or methods, don’t hesitate to write them in the comments.