The Kerala beef curry recipe, also known as the beef kozhambu, is a particular curry dish from Kerala, India. This dish is very popular in Kerala and is associated with the Christian influence in the region.
The first use of beef was during Christianity’s arrival on the Indian subcontinent, and it became a staple in many regions, including Kerala.
Ingredients such as green chilies and coconut milk give this dish its distinctive flavor that goes well with rice or chapatis (flatbread).
Since beef is expensive in India, people eat it only during special occasions such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. Another example of a dish consumed during special occasions is the new yum parippum (ginger candy).
The Kerala beef curry recipe is commonly cooked with large pieces of meat cut into cubes before being placed into the curry. The use of cardamom, green chilies, and mustard seeds gives this dish its distinct flavor.
How To Make Kerala Beef Curry Recipe?
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 5 people
Ingredients For Kerala Beef Curry Recipe
- 2 pounds beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 green chili, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- A small handful of curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala ( i recommend this one )
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is heated, add the beef pieces and cook for 2 minutes on both sides. Add green chilies, garlic, and ginger; stir for 30 seconds.
2. Add onions, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes or until the water from the tomatoes evaporates.
3. Add cardamom and cook for another 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and most of the water from their juices is evaporated.
4. Add curry leaves; stir well constantly to release their flavor. Stir in the water and put the meat pieces into a pot. If needed, add enough water to cover the meat. Once it’s in place, remove from heat and cover with a lid. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
5. Serve with a bowl of rice and a side of papadum (flatbread). Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Of Kerala Beef Curry Recipe
Health Benefits Of Kerala Beef Curry Recipe
1. Maintains a healthy heart since it is rich in Vitamin B3 (niacin) and Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine). Vitamin B3 helps in maintaining a healthy nervous system. It also helps boost the body’s immunity and retains the health of skin and hair.
2. It has high selenium levels, which makes it an essential part of the diet for cancer patients because of its capability to kill cancer cells.
3. It helps in the growth of hair and nails and controls excessive hair loss. Regular consumption of this beef curry recipe is also known to decrease the chances of developing cancerous cells.
4. It possesses anti-oxidant properties which keep the body strong and healthy.
5 . This nutritious beef curry recipe boosts immunity because it boosts the energy levels in the body, making it capable of fighting off illnesses and infections
6. It helps reduce the risk of developing diabetes due to its rich levels of fiber and nutrients.
7. Prevents digestive problems by promoting healthy gut flora.
8. It has low cholesterol levels and, thus, does not raise heart rate when consumed regularly.
9. This Kerala beef curry recipe is high in protein which ensures that muscles are well-nourished and that there is enough energy to function properly.
Servings Suggestions Of Kerala Beef Curry Recipe
1. It is best served with rice and papadum (flatbread)
2. Adding veggies will make this Kerala beef curry recipe more nutritious
3. Adding pepper to this dish will control any inflammatory condition
4. It can be enjoyed with buttermilk or yogurt for a healthy change in taste.
5 . Adding lemon juice before serving will give it a light and refreshing taste
6. Chopping the meat before cooking helps to reduce cooking time and makes the preparation of this delicious Kerala beef curry recipe even quicker.
Do You Have To Cook This Beef Curry Recipe For Long?
No, the cooking time depends on the amount of meat you use. For example, 20 minutes when using 2 pounds of beef.
This Kerala beef curry recipe will not be fully cooked if you do not cook it long enough. Hence it is best to leave it for as long as possible to extract its nutrients and flavors.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, it is possible to freeze this beef curry recipe. It can be stored for up to 3 months. However, make sure that you wrap it in a plastic container or aluminum foil before freezing to prevent moisture from destroying the food’s taste, texture, and quality.
Does This Spicy Beef Curry Recipe Take A Long Time To Cook?
It depends on the size of your meat pieces. If you have cut them into smaller pieces, it shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes.
Which Spices Can Be Used In This Kerala Beef Curry Recipe?
You can add as many as you want with the green chilies, garlic, and ginger, as they are the main ingredients in this dish.
K Kerala beef curry recipe is a delicious dish and is also very nutritious. In addition to its nutritional value, it has therapeutic qualities that make it the right choice for people who want to increase protein levels in their diet.
The Kerala beef curry recipe is a staple food specially prepared by the local people when they want to celebrate or give thanks to God.
It looks great served with rice as part of an elaborate Indian meal and on its own.