Kendal mint cake recipe is the traditional British cake generally served at Christmas time. It is a sponge cake with a buttery and lightly spiced crumb.
It was made from eggs, butter, flour, confectioner’s sugar, whole milk, and fresh breadcrumbs.
The recipe is thought to have been devised in Cumbria and is now a traditional part of festive festivities. It belongs to the cake type called Sponges (or Sponge cakes) made using milk as the main ingredient instead of water, with egg yolks for richness.
How To Make Kendal Mint Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Baking Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
Serves 10 people
- 500g of granulated sugar
- 150ml of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint essence or oil
- 25g of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 20g whole almonds split in half
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and grease a 25-cm diameter round cake tin with butter and flour.
2. Mix the sugar, milk, butter, and peppermint essence in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Sift in the baking powder and set aside.
3. Crack the eggs into a bowl, then whisk in the milk mixture, add 2 tablespoons of the whole egg and set aside. Add the rest of the whole eggs to a stand mixer with 100g of butter and whisk until no streaks remain.
4. Whisk in the flour, remainder whole egg, and baking powder, then fold in the rest of the almonds. Pour half of this mixture into the cake tin and smooth out evenly with a spatula.
5. Pour the remainder of the mixture into the cake tin, and smooth out evenly. Please do not mix it in with a spoon or spatula, or it will knock out all of the air bubbles, and your cake will not be light and fluffy.
6. Bake for 50 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) until golden brown on top and a knife come out clean when stuck in the middle of the cake.
7. Leave the cake to cool before slicing it into 10 portions.
8. Sprinkle a little icing sugar on top of each slice, and enjoy!
This is a recipe for 20 people, and it will take you around 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts Of Kendal Mint Cake Recipe
|Total fat||18 g|
5 Amazing Health Benefits Of Kendal Mint Cake Recipe
1. Oral Health
Whole eggs are an excellent source of protein, just like the rest of the food in this cake. Protein can be used to repair damage to your mouth and help prevent tooth decay.
2. Healthy Pregnancy
This is an easy way to ensure that you are getting enough folic acid in your diet. High Folic Acid levels during pregnancy are associated with a lower risk of neural tube defects in babies.
3. Heart Health
Whole eggs are a great source of essential fatty acids, healthy fats, and vitamin D, vital for preventing heart disease and osteoporosis.
Vitamin D also decreases blood pressure, which can help reduce the risk of stroke. Food can help fight off several heat-related illnesses, including cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Studies have shown that vitamin D is important for the growth and repair of cells. It is also vital for cell communication and regulates the immune system.
Vitamin D plays an important role in healing inflamed tissue, which can help ease symptoms associated with aching joints and muscles.
5. Good Nutrition
This is a great recipe as it contains all of the essential nutrients needed by the body to keep you healthy and functioning properly. The Kendal mint cake recipe is a yummy sweet treat that we love to indulge in during the holidays.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze it. However, you have to be careful when defrosting as the structure is completely different from when it is fresh.
It will not slump in the middle like a normal cake but may be difficult to slice. The best way is to defrost it overnight, then re-assemble your cake in the morning once it has cooled down.
Is It Gluten-Free?
Yes, the recipe includes gluten-free ingredients, and there is no risk of cross-contamination.
How To Store?
You will want to store it in a way so that it does not dry out. I like to wrap it in some foil and put it in the fridge.
Then when I want to eat it, I unwrap it, put it on a plate, and pop it in the microwave for two minutes. Alternatively, you can also defrost/slice it and re-assemble your cake if you prefer this.
It may look like a very complicated recipe; however, if you follow these steps carefully, the final product will be one of the most delicious cakes you will ever taste.
It tastes great, but it is also very yummy for your body and has several wonderful health benefits associated with other key ingredients.
Here at Kendal Mint Cake Recipe, we highly suggest that you give this recipe a go and bake your cake throughout the year because it truly is a keepsake!