The Irish curry fries recipe is a delicious, hearty dish for Irish Fridays. This recipe combines two comforting worlds: Ireland and South Asia. Serve with some traditional warm Guinness to complete the Friday feeling!
The recipe makes enough for 4-5 people and is quite easy to prepare, though you’ll have to prepare beforehand (the potatoes take time).
How to make the Irish curry fries recipe?
Preparation Time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
Serving: 4 people
Ingredients for Irish curry fries recipe:
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) thinly sliced potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of plain flour
- Oil for deep frying
For the Irish curry sauce:
- 1½ cup of passata (or tomato puree)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- ¼ onion, chopped finely. You can also use a couple of shallots instead.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced. You can use fresh garlic if you have it.
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree
- ½ tablespoon of garam masala (or curry powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
Method for preparing Irish curry fries recipe:
1. Prepare the sauce by combining all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender or by mixing in a bowl with a whisk. Set aside.
2. Cut the potatoes into ¾ – 1-inch cubes and place them completely on a tray lined with paper towels and salt. Leave them for about 15-30 minutes.
3. Heat an inch of oil in a wok and deep fry the potatoes until they are golden brown, around 20 minutes.
4. Drain off excess oil on a kitchen paper towel, let it cool and then prepare the Irish curry sauce by heating it in a saucepan until it is hot but not boiling (you can also serve the sauce on a cold setting) and then mix in the potatoes.
5. Serve hot with some fresh bread or with beer.
Nutrition Facts of Irish curry fries recipe
- Calories: 320
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 480 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 55 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 6 g
5 Amazing serving ideas for the Irish curry fries recipe
1. Serve these Irish curry fries with some traditional Irish sausage rolls or corned beef sandwiches for a delicious combo.
2. For an Indian-style dish, serve it with steamed basmati rice, raita, and some crispy vada.
3. Serve it with fried fish, like cod or haddock, for a hearty meal that will warm you to the bone!
4. Serve it with brown rice and paneer, which taste fantastic when prepared together.
5. Lastly, you can consume this tasty, hearty dish for breakfast! Add some scrambled eggs or a fried egg on top for an even better meal.
Can I Freeze the Irish curry fries recipe?
Yes, you can freeze this recipe. The best way to preserve the delicious flavor is by freezing it in individual portions so that you can heat it easily later.
How do I reheat Irish curry fries?
To reheat this dish, bring it to a boil in some water and cook in a saucepan, covered with a lid, until the potatoes are tender.
Is the Irish curry fries recipe good for everybody?
This recipe is good for everybody. It is gluten-free and has no added preservatives.
Is the Irish curry fries recipe healthy?
This recipe contains potatoes, which are high in fiber and rich in essential vitamins and minerals. It also contains onions, which are important for the liver to properly produce bile, which is instrumental in the digestion of fats and fat-soluble vitamins. This dish also contains turmeric, a spice found to be effective against cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
What is Irish curry from chippy?
The Irish curry from chippy is a traditional Irish recipe made up of potatoes, usually served with some fries. There are several ways to make this dish; you can cook the potatoes in a pan with butter or use vegetable oil or even lard to prepare it.
The chippy originated in Ireland in the 1950s and specialized in fish prepared using several techniques and methods.
It is important to make Irish curry fries recipe. It is the best dish in all of Ireland. Do you have any suggestions? Please let us know through a comment below!