Indonesian Chicken Curry Recipe Is one of the best and easiest to cook recipes, perfect for a weeknight dinner or even as a packed lunch. It’s simple, easy, and quick to make.
There are no specific ingredients for the recipe, but you can omit any ingredient you want. For example, if you don’t have coconut milk, use soy sauce or chicken broth instead.
What Is Indonesian Chicken Curry Recipe?
Indonesian Chicken Curry Recipe is a popular recipe in India, Malaysia, and Indonesia. It’s also known as “Rendang Kari Ayam.” The basic ingredients to cook it are coconut milk, onion, garlic, ginger, chicken meat, or vegetables. The most important one is the curry paste which can be homemade or store-bought.
What Meat To Use In Indonesian Chicken Curry?
You can use many options; boneless chicken breast, chicken thigh, or drumsticks will work well. You can also use duck, chicken wings, duck meat, or any other meat.
How To Make Indonesian Chicken Curry Recipe?
Firstly, to make Indonesian Chicken Curry Recipe, marinate the chicken for about 20 minutes in lemon juice, curry paste, and salt.
After that, cook the marinated chicken with some oil until it’s browned on all sides. Then add onions and saute for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Next is the main ingredient, coconut milk, added to the spicy sauce.
Prepare Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 50 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins Serves: 3 to 4 people
- Marinated Chicken Pieces:
- 2-3 pieces of boneless chicken cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic cloves or 2 to 3 cloves minced garlic and 1/2 inch ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons curry paste (Penang curry or Lampong curry)
- Four tablespoons of cooking oil deep frying the chicken (I used Canola Oil) and an extra 1 tablespoon to saute the onions. 1 can coconut milk.
Step 1. Marinate the cubed chicken for about 20 minutes in half a cup of water and lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon mild chili powder.
Step 2. Heat a pan with oil, add the chicken pieces and fry until they turn golden brown at medium heat. Then drain the excess oil by using a slotted spoon. Set aside once cool enough to handle as you will be deep-frying them later.
Step 3. In a large non-stick frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and saute the chopped onions until they turn golden brown at medium/high heat. Add crushed garlic or minced garlic and grated ginger. Stir for about 1 minute, then add the curry paste.
Step 4. Stir the curry paste until fragrant or about 5 minutes at medium/high heat.
Step 5. Add the coconut milk to the spicy onion mixture and stir until lightly boiled (just enough to warm up the coconut milk).
Step 6. Add the fried chicken and mix well until all the ingredients throughout. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
Step 7. Serve warm with steamed rice and garnish with a wedge of lime or small green chili, freshly chopped coriander leaves, and some slices of red onion for those who like it spicy. Enjoy!
If you want to add more watery gravy, add another cup of water after stirring in the coconut milk. You can use any vegetables you like, such as potatoes and carrots.
Nutrition facts Of Indonesian Chicken Curry Recipe
5 Healthy benefits Of Indonesian Chicken Curry Recipe
1. Reduces Cholesterol: A spicy curry dish can help reduce bad cholesterol in your body, heart disease, and stroke.
2. Lowers Blood Pressure: Heart disease is the number one killer of men and women. The antioxidants in curry help to keep your blood pressure low as well.
3. Diabetes Prevention: There’s a growing body of scientific evidence that curry with curcumin is a good way to prevent type 2 diabetes because it helps fight inflammation which causes the most cases of this disease today.
4. Lowers Your Risk Of Colon Cancer: Curcumin (turmeric) helps fight inflammation which is one of the causes of colon cancer.
5. Anti-Inflammatory Properties: This dish’s ingredients help fight inflammation and soothe your digestive system.
“Chicken curry is such a simple but yummy recipe, especially if you want a delicious way to change chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts into a flavorful meal. The coconut milk and curry paste is perfect for this spicy, delicious dish.”
Want to share this recipe with your friends, family, or loved ones? Just click the button on your heart.