Hmong Curry Recipe is an authentic Hmong recipe for making delicious and exotic Thai-Hmong vegan curry.
The ingredients are all plant-based, with no animal products involved, although you can add your favorite meats or other vegetables if that is your preference.
Not everyone will enjoy this recipe because it includes traditional Thai ingredients such as lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, and bird’s eye chile peppers.
How to make Hmong Curry Recipe
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 whole large onions, peeled and sliced into half-moons
- 2-3 whole garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom third only, very thinly sliced
- 5 or 6 kaffir lime leaves (optional), stemmed and chopped very finely
- 4 whole cardamom pods, lightly crushed with a mortar and pestle or the side of a heavy knife
- Four large dried red Thai chiles (or substitute 1 fresh, dried red Thai chile), stem discarded and broken in pieces (about an.
Step 1: Place a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat. Add oil and onions. Sauté is often stirring for about 10 minutes or until onions are translucent and begin to caramelize.
Step 2: Add the lemongrass. If using without stems, then kaffir lime leaves (or lemongrass with branches), followed by the crushed cardamom pods and chile pieces (if using fresh chiles).
Stir once or twice to ensure that everything is evenly coated in the oil.
Step 3: Stir in the coconut milk, soy sauce, and sugar (if using). Add tomatoes and reserved chiles. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered,
for 1 hour or until vegetables are soft and the flavors have melded. At this point, you can add more fresh chiles if you like.
Step 4: If desired, garnish with chopped basil leaves after serving.
Nutrition Facts of Hmong Curry Recipe
Health Benefits of Hmong Curry Recipe
Lemongrass is a very powerful natural remedy. It fights bad breath, both internally and externally, with its aromatic oils that help kill off germs and bacteria from the gums and teeth.
Lemongrass also has anti-inflammatory properties that support healthy joints, as well as help to reduce pain.
A teaspoon of lemongrass mixed with a teaspoon of honey can be consumed three times daily to help reduce arthritis or rheumatism symptoms.
Best 6 Freezing Ideas for Hmong Curry Recipe
1. Freeze curry in an ice cube tray and store in a freezer bag.
2. Freeze curry with pineapple juice and canned chickpeas to make a hearty, sweet and spicy soup when defrosted.
3. Freeze curry with unsweetened soy milk (which can be purchased at health food stores) in ice-cube trays, then transfer cubes to an air-tight container to make creamy Thai/Hmong Ice Cream! Chocolate or Coffee flavored ice cream is also popular.
4. Freeze curry in a mold for mock-ican-cheesecake.
5. Freeze curry with corn kernels, peas, and spinach in ice cubes trays, then add to stir fry or soups as desired.
6. Freeze extra curry without the tomatoes to add to spaghetti sauce, curries, or soups later on.
How to Store?
Freeze in an air-tight container, preferably glass. Defrost completely in the refrigerator before reheating. No need to thaw before heating. If desired, stir in some water or broth when reheating to make it more soup-like.
Price Of Hmong Curry Recipe
The average price of the Hmong Curry Recipe is $11 per person. The price may vary based on the region and city.
Hmong Soup Recipes
Hmong Soup Recipes is a mixture of both vegetarian and non-vegetarian soup recipes. The non-vegetarian ingredients include tofu, shrimp, fish balls, and chicken.
Vegetarian Ingredients for Hmong Soup Recipe
“Dried Instant Noodles” – Many varieties are available. Feel free to substitute with another type of noodle if desired.
Sliced fresh vegetables (i.e., mushrooms, green peas, bamboo shoots, or Chinese cabbage).
Is Hmong Curry Recipe Healthy?
The healthiest ingredient in Hmong Curry Recipe is fresh tomatoes. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and may affect certain types of cancer.
In addition, tomatoes can help prevent wrinkles and skin aging when topically applied. However, Hmong Curry Recipe also contains not-so-healthy ingredients such as dried chiles, coconut milk, onions, and garlic.
Is Hmong Curry Recipe Gluten-Free?
Hmong Curry Recipe is gluten-free as it does not contain any gluten or wheat. However, some grilled meats and fish in Hmong Curry Recipe may contain gluten.
The final verdict of the Hmong Curry Recipe is that it’s a delicious and healthy dish without the use of any animal or dairy products.
It is ideal for a vegan diet but not for everyone because of its spices. What are your thoughts about Hmong Curry Recipe? Please feel free to leave your comments below; we would love to hear from you!