The High altitude cake recipe is a moist, fluffy, and tender cake. This cake style won’t dry out as quickly as a regular cake at lower altitudes. It is also often baked in 9-inch square pans rather than 8-inch pans, adding height to the cake.
A high-altitude cooking adjustment is required when cooking at an altitude above 2,000 feet (610 meters).
The High altitude cake recipe is a cake made with egg whites and sugar. Its purpose is to compensate for the lack of air pressure at altitude to cook the cake evenly, unlike cakes made with butter that can’t rise.
How To Make High Altitude Cake Recipe?
- 2 egg whites
- 1c sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- A small amount of water (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
Step-1. In a large bowl, beat eggs until frothy.
Step-2. Add sugar and continue beating until it forms soft peaks and is glossy.
Step-3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and vanilla extract (if using). Stir into egg mixture.
Step-4. Gradually add 1 cup of milk to the mixture and stir until just blended (do not over mix).
Step-5. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 cake pan.
Step-6. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step-7. Cool in the pan and remove after 5 minutes.
TIP: This recipe can also be baked in a smaller, 8 x 10-inch cake pan at about 300 °F (150 °C).
Step-8. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts Of High Altitude Cake Recipe
Amount Per Serving
|Total Fat||3g 5%|
Best 6 Health Benefits Of High Altitude Cake Recipe
1. This cake has a high calcium content making it a good choice for those who have osteoporosis or osteopenia and wish to increase the amount of calcium in their diet.
2. One serving of this recipe supplies 16% of the daily recommended intake of vitamin C that helps boost immunity, promotes healing and repairs body tissues, maintains skin health, and synthesizes collagen.
3. It is also an excellent source of vitamin E that helps boost the heart’s function, prevents cancer, lowers blood pressure, and helps maintain healthy eyes and skin. 4. It is a good source of folate that helps prevent congenital disabilities, lowers homocysteine levels (a risk factor for heart disease), and reduces the risk of stroke.
5. Having a few saturated fats will not adversely affect cholesterol levels since it also contains polyunsaturated fats.
6. It is a good source of potassium, an electrolyte that helps maintain fluid balance in the body and prevents muscle cramps. 4. It is also a good source of iron that helps produce red blood cells and carry oxygen to your tissues. Furthermore, it supports the normal functioning of the immune system and improves cognitive function
6. It is also a good source of riboflavin that supports normal energy metabolism, maintains normal skin and eye health, regulates water balance in the body, and manufactures proteins.
Is It Suitable For Pregnant Women?
Yes, pregnant women can enjoy the benefits of this recipe. It is an excellent source of vitamin E, which helps to develop healthy skin and hair in the fetus
Is It Gluten Free?
Yes, this recipe is gluten-free. The ingredients used are fresh and wholesome, unlike those used in a regular cake recipe.
Moreover, the cake does not dry out as quickly at high altitudes compared to a regular cake made with baking powder.
Is It Suitable For Toddlers?
Yes, the recipe is safe for toddlers and may not have teeth yet.
Is It Suitable For Lactating Mothers?
Yes, it is a good source of vitamin E that helps boost the immune system and maintain normal skin health.
Is It Suitable For Diabetics?
Yes, there is no sugar added to this cake. Sugar from fruits or added honey/sugar will be sufficient to sweeten it.
Can I freeze it?
Yes, it can be frozen. However, thaw the cake out for a few hours before serving.
Is It Safe?
Yes, as the ingredients used in this recipe are fresh and wholesome, it is a good choice for families who wish to have nutritious food.
Is it Healthy?
Yes, it is as healthy as a fruit cake without butter or cream. It is sweetened with sugar and natural fruit juices/syrup and no artificial ingredients like high fructose corn syrup.
Can I Add Fresh Fruits To The Cake?
Yes, you may add fresh fruit to enhance the taste of this cake recipe. It is recommended to use fresh fruit rather than canned ones containing preservatives where possible.
The High altitude cake recipe is a moist and tender cake that tastes great. It is easy to make and more economical than buying raw materials at a shop. It can be cooked in a pan with an 8-inch diameter or 9-inch diameter.
In summary, you can use this quick and easy baking recipe as one of your choices for healthy, homemade cakes recipes.
An added advantage of making cakes at home is choosing different cooking methods such as a stove or oven (microwave will only be used in an emergency).