German hazelnut cake recipe is one of the most popular desserts in Germany, with a rich and hearty flavor reminiscent of caramelized bananas.
Many Germans love this cake for its delicious taste and easy to make. German hazelnut cake is made from ingredients that are accessible in every household and take only a few steps to prepare.
If you are looking for an easy way to impress your friends or family, this recipe might be what you need!
This recipe should serve seven people but can be easily scaled up or down as needed.
How To Make A German Hazelnut Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins
- 250 g butter, soft and unsalted (2 butter sticks + 1Tbsp.)
- 200 g sugar (1 cup + 1 Tbsp)
- 2 tsp. vanilla sugar
- 4 count eggs
- 250 g flour (2 cups + 1 Tbsp.)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 250 g hazelnut flour (3 1/2 cups)
- 125 ml milk (½ cup + 1 Tbsp)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 lemon the zest if it’s not bitter
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. Grease a nonstick cake pan with butter and tap out the excess butter.
3. Arrange paper baking cups on top of the cake pan to be pressed onto the surface of the cake to keep the cake in place during baking.
4. Leave space around each cup so that it doesn’t touch other cups during baking. Spray water on a plate, and set it aside.
5. Beat butter and sugar until creamy, do not overbeat
6. Add vanilla sugar, salt, and milk; continue to beat
7. Add flour and baking powder in small batches into the batter, mix until just incorporated
8. Add hazelnut flour in small batches while mixing until fully incorporated
9. Evenly distribute the batter into the paper cups of your cake pan (Cupcakes with a teaspoon). Spray water on a plate and layout the cake pan.
10. Bake for 1 hour at 180 C; check after 50 minutes to prevent top burning. There should be cracks forming on top of the cake, but make sure not to overbake it. Bake for another 30-40 minutes if necessary. Check again periodically to avoid overbaking.
Nutrition Fact Of German Hazelnut Cake Recipe
|Saturated Fat||37.4g (180%)|
|Monounsaturated Fat||37.4g (180%)|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||11.7g (58%)|
Best 5 Health Benefits Of German Hazelnut Cake Recipe
Hazelnut contains abundant sources of ellagitannins and proanthocyanidins. This class of polyphenolic compounds has been known to have several potential health benefits.
Specifically, consuming foods rich in these two compounds is associated with a reduced risk of cancer and heart disease.
Hazelnuts also contain an antioxidant enzyme called superoxide dismutase, or SOD. SOD is an antioxidant enzyme that has been known to protect the body from free radical damage.
Like other nuts, Hazelnut also contains several vitamins and minerals that are essential for the proper functioning of the body.
Vitamins and minerals are also known for their anti-aging properties. Hazelnut contains high levels of Vitamin E, which protects skin from harmful UV rays of the sun.
It is also an essential factor in collagen production, a colloidal protein that maintains connective tissues and prevents wrinkles from forming on the skin.
Hazelnuts are also known to increase serotonin and dopamine levels in the body. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that has been known to be related to feelings of happiness, desire, and addiction.
High levels of serotonin have been linked to feelings of well-being and peacefulness. Hazelnuts are also a great source of zinc which aids in the production of serotonin needed by the body.
4. Pain Relief
Hazelnuts are also known to reduce inflammation. Inflammation is a condition that develops when the body’s immune system thinks that something is wrong. This results in inflammatory cells being released into the body’s tissues and muscles to deal with the situation.
This is only temporary and, if it happens often enough, can lead to permanent damage to the tissue and even increase cancer risk.
Studies have shown that eating nuts like hazelnuts can help reduce inflammation in humans. This can occur by consuming foods rich in polyphenolic compounds, polyphenols being antioxidants that can protect the body from free radicals.
5. Blood Sugar Levels
Hazelnut is also a great food for people with diabetes. Diabetes is a condition that occurs when blood glucose levels are too high or too low within the body and lead to insulin resistance and lots of fat storage within tissues, liver, and pancreas.
This type of condition is called metabolic syndrome and can lead to many complications, such as blindness, kidney failure, and heart disease. Hazelnut has a low glycemic index, meaning the body slowly absorbs and digests it.
High glycemic food contains a lot of carbohydrates which are absorbed quickly by the body and enter the bloodstream in high amounts.
When this happens, the pancreas releases insulin to mop up all this excess glucose (sugar) in the bloodstream for storage.
How To Store German Hazelnut Cake Recipe?
1. I would suggest refrigerating your German hazelnut cake after baking to avoid major crumbles on the surface of the cake.
2. You can store it in an airtight container and freeze it for a few days if not needed the same day.
Is It Good For Everybody?
The German hazelnut cake recipe is a great source of protein and fiber and will provide you with enough energy to enjoy your day.
German hazelnut cake can help you maintain a healthy weight, but if you are going through a diet, please be cautious not to eat more than the recommended amount. If you are on medication, please consult your doctor before consuming this food.
What Are The Proper Serving Size Of the German Hazelnut Cake Recipe?
The serving size of this cake is 4 slices or 25-30g. It can be cut into pieces, but I prefer to have it in whole slices because it looks more attractive and has a better presentation.
Can I Use Regular Hazelnut Flour Instead Of Hazelnut Flour?
Yes, you can replace regular hazelnut flour with normal nut flour if you want a lighter texture on the recipe.
But if you are not on a nut-free diet, I encourage you to try out the hazelnut flour because it has that authentic European taste. You can also use blanched almonds as an alternative to hazelnuts.
What Type Of Fats Should I Use In German Hazelnut Cake Recipe?
I used unsalted butter and vegetable oil in my recipe instead of coconut oil because it’s not available here. Butters like salted and unsalted can be used with vegetable oil to make the batter more flavourful.