The fish head curry recipe Indian is a traditional dish from Sri Lanka. It is also served by Indian restaurants in the U.S., Canada, and other countries worldwide.
I will show you how to make this dish step-by-step. It is very easy & simple to make. Fish head curry is a local favorite in Sri Lanka. We Indians also serve it in other countries like the USA, Canada, and other countries.
Ingredients are the same as that of the fish head curry recipe Indian. I have used lemongrass, Cinnamon bark, Garlic & Ginger powder, and Onion paste, but you can use any other spices or herbs.
How To Make Fish Head Curry Recipe Indian?
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 2 big fish heads (sear or kingfish), each chopped into 2 pieces
- 1/2 cup – thick tamarind juice extracted from a lime size ball of tamarind
- 2 big onions, chopped finely
- 3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp – ginger paste
- 1 tsp – garlic paste
- 1/2 cup – ground coconut or 1 cup – coconut milk
- 3 tsp – chili powder
- 1 tsp – cumin powder
- 2 tsp – coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp – turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp – oil
1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the chopped onions and stir fry till they turn soft. Add the green chilies and fry on slow flame for a few seconds. Add ginger paste and garlic paste, mix well & cook for another minute or so.
2. In a blender, add ground coconut, tamarind juice, chili powder, cumin & coriander powder, and blend to make a smooth paste.
3. Add the paste to the frying onions and give it a quick stir. Add coconut milk, turmeric, salt, & water to make it a little watery, and cook on slow flame until the gravy has thickened.
4. Add fish pieces and tomatoes to the gravy & cook covered on medium flame till the fish is cooked & tender (about 5-8 minutes).
5. Check the taste and add more salt, chili powder, or coconut milk if required.
6. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
1. You may also use any other fish available in your area instead of fish heads.
2. You can add a cup of water if the gravy is too thick or too little water if the gravy is too thin.
Nutrition Facts Of Fish Head Curry Recipe Indian
- Calories: 22
- Fat: 2.4 g
- Saturated fat: 0.9 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Carbohydrate: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 61 mg
Amazing 8 Health Benefits Of Fish Head Curry Recipe Indian
1. Fish is the best source of protein and is neutral in flavor, making it easy to combine with other flavors. Cooking fish with herbs and spices enhances the flavor of this nutritious ingredient without adding a lot of extra fat or calories.
2. Fish is a good source of vitamin B12, which helps lower homocysteine levels in the body, a risk factor for heart disease.
3. Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids, also known as polyunsaturated fats. These fats help the body’s cells communicate.
4. Fish is lower in fat than many other types of meat and is also rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, which may help reduce the risk of developing heart disease and cardiovascular disease.
5. Fish is also a good source of vitamin D, which helps maintain strong bones and teeth.
6. Fish is an excellent source of vitamin B6 and selenium, which help to keep the immune system strong.
7. Fish contains protein but does not contain all eight essential amino acids, so it’s important to combine fish with a food that contains all eight (like brown rice or beans) when eating fish.
8. Fish is high in Omega-3, good for the skin, hair, and nails.
Can I Freeze Fish Head Curry Recipe Indian?
You can freeze the fish head curry recipe Indian, transfer it into an airtight container, and keep it in a freezer.
Will Fish Head Curry Recipe Indian Taste Fine After Freezing?
The taste of the fish head curry recipe Indian will not change much. You will find that there is less fat and oil and more spices.
You can defrost the fish head curry recipe Indian when you are ready to use it (just a little time will be needed for defrosting).
Is Fish Head Curry Recipe Indian Gluten-Free?
Fish head curry recipe Indian is gluten-free and a great dish for the whole family. You can prepare it with or without white rice. Since eating fish head curry with white rice (which is cooked with gravy), I do not add any rice to this recipe.
Fish head curry recipe Indian is a delicious dish to serve for dinner. It is best to add a vegetable curry or simple stir-fried vegetable with the fish head curry recipe Indian to balance the taste of this dish.
This fish head curry recipe Indian is a great option for those looking for new ways to make a healthy dinner for the whole family.