The Filipino mocha cake recipe is a delicious coffee cake perfect for special occasions. It is a simple cake that is moist and full of flavor.
This cake is usually made with all-purpose flour, sugar, water, eggs and butter, and mocha extract. The cake gets its great flavor from the coffee extract. This cake is easy to make.
Mocha cake is also known as Filipino coffee bundt cake and is a traditional Filipino recipe. This cake may also be referred to as daedal or paa or Babson or pan de sal or pandesal, depending on the region of the Philippines.
How To Make Filipino Mocha Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Number of servings: 15 pieces (cut into slices)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, sifted
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup water, warm or hot (but not boiling)
- 2 Tbsp. instant coffee
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
Mocha Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup butter cut into big chunks
- 1 Tbsp. instant coffee
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1 cup whipping cream chilled
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
1. In a bowl, mix ingredients for the cake dough: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
2. Mix butter and water in a saucepan until the butter melts thoroughly. (Use this to make flaky pastry). Set aside to cool.
3. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
4. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and shiny peaks form.
5. Combine mocha cake ingredients: flour mixture, coffee and oil mixture, whipped egg yolks, and cooled butter-water mixture. Mix well until the batter is smooth and fluffy.
6. Gently fold in the egg whites until evenly distributed into the batter.
7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in a hot oven until the top of the cake springs back when lightly touched (almost baked).
8. Turn off the oven and allow the cake to cool in the oven for 30 minutes.
9. To make Frosting: Melt butter over low heat in a saucepan, then add coffee and cocoa powder. Stir until well combined, and the mixture thickens up (4 to 5-minute boil). Remove from heat.
10. Pour into a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until it becomes a spreadable consistency.
11. Spread frosting on top of the cake using a knife or spatula, then sprinkle some cocoa powder on the cake for decoration.
12. Serve cool, slice, and enjoy!
Nutrition Fact Of Filipino Mocha Cake Recipe
Health Benefits Of Filipino Mocha Cake Recipe
1. Low glycemic index.
2. Contains three times more fiber than regular cakes.
3. Fiber can help lower blood cholesterol, control blood sugar and prevent type 2 diabetes.
4. It May help lower high blood pressure.
5. It May help prevent heart disease and stroke.
6. Philippine mocha cake has high protein, low fat, and low cholesterol content. It is a good source of calcium and other minerals such as zinc and selenium for good health.
7. It is believed that cocoa powder can help reduce nerve damage, mild to moderate dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease.
8. Cocoa contains flavonoids, a powerful antioxidant that inhibits the formation of destructive molecules in the arteries and prevents blood clotting.
9. Philippine mocha cake is an excellent source of calcium, which can strengthen your teeth and bones.
10. Overall good for health in general because it helps improve the body’s immune system with good nutrition such as high protein, low fat, and low cholesterol content.
Can I Freeze Filipino Mocha Cake Recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the Filipino mocha cake recipe. Place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap between each layer of the cake.
Freeze it for up to 3 months. Allow 10 to 15 minutes in the oven to thaw it out before serving.
How Can I Store Filipino Mocha Cake Recipe?
Place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap between each layer of the cake and place the whole thing in a container.
Can I Make Filipino Mocha Cake Without Coffee?
Yes, you can still make this rich cake without using any coffee. You may substitute the instant coffee in your recipe with all-purpose flour or cornstarch.
If possible, use less instant coffee or substitute it with cocoa powder, which is considered a good substitute for coffee.
Is It Good For Everybody?
This cake recipe is good for those who are allergic to coffee because it has instant coffee in its ingredient.
Is It Good For Any Occasion?
Filipino mocha cake can be served for any occasion. You can serve this delicious cake for a birthday, anniversary, or special occasions such as a holiday. This is also a good addition to your picnic basket because it is not heavy to bring out.
Where Can I Get The Ingredients?
You can find all-purpose flour and other ingredients in supermarkets or stores that sell baking products. The instant coffee powder can also be available in most supermarkets.
What Kind Of Oil Should I Use?
You may use your preferred oil to make this cake. However, you should avoid using salad oil or other oils because it may give your cake a bitter taste.
Filipino mocha cake is a good addition to your breakfast or mid-afternoon tea time. It is also a good snack on its own!
Do you have any thoughts or suggestions about this recipe? Do you have another recipe that you think is better than this? Please share them in the comment section below! Lastly, thank you for spending time to try out my recipe.