This El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Recipe Recipe is perfect for Houstonians. The corn base is made in the style of a cake, but it gets extra sweetness from the addition of honey.
The recipe has been adapted from one created by Chef Nancy Oakes, who makes these Americanized dishes at Bay Area restaurant, Boulevard.
How to make El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten until frothy
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 14 oz. can cream-style corn
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed and unthawed (or 4 fresh cobs with husks removed) salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a medium nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add onion, season lightly with salt, and saute until tender. Add flour and cook, stirring until flour is absorbed by the onion.
2. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in beaten egg and 2 tablespoons cream-style corn (can substitute half whole milk half cream-style corn). Cook for about 5 minutes or until the egg is cooked through.
3. Turn off the heat and transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in milk, corn, and remaining cream-style corn. Season with salt, if necessary. Let cool completely in the refrigerator before serving. The longer it sits, the better it tastes!
Nutrition facts of El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Recipe
Best 9 Health Benefits of El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Recipe
1. El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Recipe helps you stabilize your blood sugar, which is beneficial for those battling diabetes
2. Sweet corn is an excellent source of Vitamin C, which is needed for the immune system and aids in fighting cancer
3. It’s also a good source of calcium, folate, and Vitamin B6 (these vitamins are often low in gluten intolerant people or have celiac disease).
4. It also helps you improve your digestion.
5. It’s also a pretty good source of fiber and protein, which are both important for everyone
6. Looking for an awesome snack to help with weight loss? One serving of this El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Recipe provides only 262 calories and 12 grams of fat!
7. It aids in producing anti-aging compounds, improves your skin health , and can help lower cholesterol levels.
8. It also helps boost the immune system and is great for flushing out toxins in your body
9. Lastly, it’s also a great source of folate, which is important for pregnant women as it can prevent defects in babies.
Is It Healthy?
As we mentioned before, El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Recipe is high in protein, which is great for building new muscle and keeping your muscle mass.
Protein is also an important nutrient for athletes and bodybuilders, as it helps to support your immune system and aids you in repairing muscles after months of strenuous exercise.
Is It Healthy?
Organ meats (poultry and meat) are an excellent source of iron. Iron is necessary for producing red blood cells and enhances oxygen transport in the body.
This is important for athletes as they often have high levels of stress, which will eventually reduce their iron stores and create anemia.
Is It Good For Heart Patients?
You bet! The fiber and protein in this dish are beneficial for heart patients as long as they eat it in moderation.
Is It Good For Diabetics?
The fiber that is found in corn is beneficial for people with diabetes. Eating it can help stabilize insulin and blood sugar levels, which is useful for preventing spikes in after-meal blood sugar levels.
It’s also important for athletes to check their blood glucose levels throughout the day, as it can be affected by exercise and diet.
Is It Suitable For Pregnant Women?
Sweet corn is an excellent source of folate. Folate is important for pregnant women and women trying to get pregnant, as it can help prevent congenital disabilities in babies.
Is It Good For Allergy Sufferers?
The only allergy that this recipe may cause (depending on your allergies)is to milk and corn. You can choose to use milk in its place if you’re allergic to milk or corn.
Is It Good For Skin Health?
The cream-style corn used in this dish is an excellent source of Vitamin A, which is important for healthy, glowing skin. Vitamin A also aids in the production of collagen, which helps your skin to stay supple and resilient.
Is It Good For Dental Health?
El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Recipe is rich in iron, essential for developing and keeping healthy teeth.
El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Recipe is an Americanized version of the El Torito taco, a Mexican street-style snack full of flavor.
The dish is made with sweet corn, which you can use to substitute for corn tortillas. If you’ve never had this dish before, try it at Carlos’ Carne Asada Taqueria and let us know what you think.