The dry chicken curry recipe is a dish that is usually found in Kerala. The dish is made by cooking chicken and then frying it in a mixture of spices.
Chicken curry is also prepared over slow fire like other Kerala dishes, such as the famous coconut milk preparation of karakulams.
The most famous dish from Kerala is chicken atiyal, which has deep-fried masala inside the meat, which adds a lot of flavors. The dry chicken curry recipe requires few ingredients and can serve 4-6 people, depending on the amount eaten.
It is also possible to make chicken curry by cooking chicken in the famous coconut milk masala used when making kariyal.
The best part of the dry chicken curry recipe is that it can be stored for a long time and consumed many times later on if not finished during one meal.
How To Mak Dry Chicken Curry Recipe?
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 500 Grams of Chicken Breast Diced into small pieces
- 10 Grams Ginger
- 5 Piece Green chilies As per your taste (Slit in between)
- 2 Piece Tomatoes Large Sized
- 2 Piece Onions Large Sized
- 10-12 Piece Whole Black Pepper Adjust as per your taste
- 2 Piece Cinnamon sticks Small-sized
- 1 Piece Star Anise
- 2 Piece Bay leaves
- 14-16 Piece Curry leaves
- 8 Cloves Garlic Peeled and uncut
- 5 Grams of Fennel Seeds
- 2 Teaspoon Salt As per your taste
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder As per your taste
- 1.5 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
1. Dry chicken curry is a dish that needs to be prepared for a long time and this is why you will find it difficult to prepare within minutes. The dish requires you to fry the chicken in spices, onions, and tomatoes.
2. After that, you have to make a paste of ginger, garlic, onion, and tomatoes with a little bit of water added. You can use a mixer or the traditional way of making pastes by grinding them into a blender.
3. Then add the chicken, curry leaves, and garam masala powder to the paste. You can also add salt, chilly red paste, and turmeric powder if you do not have a ready-made garam masala powder.
4. Pressure cook the contents with some water and cook until done.
5. Open the lid once all the steam has been released. This is a very important step that needs to be followed when pressure cooking any food item to prevent it from getting burnt in between.
6. You will find that the chicken will be soft and tender after cooking. Make sure you add more oil and spices to your chicken curry recipe if you are a big fan of spices.
7. Dry Chicken Curry can be eaten with onions and fried rice.
Nutrition Facts Of Dry Chicken Curry Recipe
- Calories: 430 Kcal
- Protein: 24.62 g
- Carbs: 50.68 g
- Fat: 0.98 g
- Cholesterol: 0.12 mg
- Sodium: 677.24 mg
- Potassium: 1160 mg
7 Amazing Serving Ideas For Dry Chicken Curry Recipe
1. This will be a great option if you want to make a chicken curry recipe for the kids. You can make chicken curry with milk and serve it with steamed rice.
2. The best way to serve dry chicken curry recipe is to serve it hot with rice and Dahi bora ( yogurt dessert).
3. You can also serve the chicken curry with onion water ( pearl onions boiled in water) and cornflakes.
4. Chicken curry can also be served with rice and steamed vegetables like carrots, shallots, and green beans.
5. You can also serve the chicken curry with bread and butter for a quick snack.
6. Chicken curry can be served as a side dish to the tandoori chicken recipe
7. Chicken curry can also be served as a main dish with a side of buttered rice, Dahi bora or roti bread or naan bread, or naans. This will make the dish perfect for any occasion and day of the week.
Is It Possible To Make dry Chicken Curry Without Onions?
Yes, you can make chicken curry with onions if you want to add a lot of taste to the dish. You can also skip the onions and serve the chicken curry with some boiled onions and coriander leaves for garnishing.
Is It Ok To Use Frozen Chicken For Making Dry Chicken Curry?
Yes, you can use frozen chickens for making dry chicken curry recipes. You only need to thaw it and then proceed with the rest of the process.
Is The Chicken Curry Recipe Healthy?
Yes, the chicken curry recipe is healthy as it contains a lot of nutritious ingredients. You can also add some green vegetables to the dry chicken curry recipe like corn, spinach, and green peas. But you will have to make sure that you use healthy vegetables.
A dry chicken curry recipe is a dish made with very little ingredients and can be stored for a long time.
You can also add mutton or beef to make the dish richer and more flavorful. Dry chicken curry is usually eaten as an afternoon snack or in the morning with tea.
The dry chicken curry recipe is not limited to any region, state, or country. It is used by people belonging to all parts of India and other nations.