The double chocolate chip cake recipe features an easy, elegant chocolate chip-cake base with rich chocolate and classic American buttercream layers. It is designed for a cinch to make—no need for complicated ingredients with this one!
This cake is so perfect for the peanut butter lover in your life. Chocolate lovers will love it too!
How To Make Double Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 47 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup cool water
- 3/4 cup Semi-Sweet Mini Chips
For The Ganache
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Mini Chips
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and dust with flour; tap out excess.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars until creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
3. Whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in another bowl. Add to butter mixture until just combined.
4. Stir in water, then chocolate chips (reserve 1/4 cup for topping).
5. Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
6. Whip the cream till stiff, then add salt and reserved chocolate chips and mix well.
7. To assemble: place one layer of cake on a plate, add a few dollops of ganache on top, and spread the sides out to form the ring of your choice with an offset spatula. Repeat with remaining cakes and ganache.
8. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in 15-second intervals at 50% power, stirring in between until smooth.
9. Top each cake with ganche and a little chocolate, allowing the ganche to dry and harden before removing the ring of cake on top. Refrigerate overnight before serving to allow the ganche to set fully.
Nutrition Fact Of Double Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe
Health Benefits Of Double Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe
1. Chocolate contains antioxidants that have been shown to help prevent cancer.
2. Prevents cataracts.
3. Promotes a healthy heart and cardiovascular system.
4. Relieves migraine headaches and other inflammatory disorders, including rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, colitis, and psoriasis.
5. It Contains tryptophan, a natural depressant that helps people relax and sleep better at night.
6. It May help improve memory, concentration, and athletic performance (especially when combined with exercise).
7. Promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails.
8. Promotes better sleep, which is critical for healthy weight maintenance.
9. It contains phenylethylamine (PEA), a chemical known to induce a feeling of excitement and euphoria similar to that found in human love and romance.
10. PEA increases levels of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine, linked to feeling happy and full of energy.
11. Chocolate contains a small amount of theobromine, a stimulant affecting the central nervous system and heart.
12. Combining caffeine and theobromine in chocolate can improve mental performance, alertness, reaction time, and concentration.
13. It can temporarily relieve pain such as headaches and migraines, reduce fevers, suppress coughs, and dissolve gallstones.
14. It May help prevent cancer by protecting against free radicals in the body.
1. Serve with fresh fruit and non-dairy whipped topping.
2. Serve with peanut butter cups, if you wish. They make it a dessert with a peanut butter kick!
3. If you don’t like to eat eggs, use applesauce or bananas instead of the whole eggs or skip them altogether.
4. You can substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips for the mini chips, though they are not as rich and will not taste quite as good without them.
5. If you like to eat more chocolate or peanut butter, add a layer of chocolate frosting to the center of each cake and sprinkle with more peanut butter cups on top. This will only work if your cakes are cooled completely before topping each with frosting!
6. You can also stir half a cup of mini chips into the ganche filling and sprinkle it on top of the cake!
Can I Freeze It?
You can freeze it, but I don’t recommend it. The ganache with peanut butter cups will likely ooze out the sides and make a huge mess when you thaw it. You’re better off just eating the leftovers instead.
Is It Healthy?
The chocolate chips aren’t too bad, but the rest of the cake is a bit high in fat, so it’s not an everyday thing.
How Long Does It Keep?
This is best eaten fresh or kept refrigerated overnight. The icing will harden once set, so anything left out too long will be difficult to cut and eat.
Is Double Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe Gluten-Free?
According to some sources, the peanut butter cups in this recipe are a gluten-containing ingredient, so if you have Celiac disease, are an IBS patient, or are just generally sensitive to gluten, you will want to skip the peanut butter cups and the ganache if you know that’s true. The filling (with bits of chocolate) inside the cake is not gluten-containing, though.
Is It Suitable For Diabetics?
If you are watching your carb intake, this is not the cake. It contains flour, butter, baking powder, and half a cup of miniature chocolate chips alone!
It might be okay if you have diabetes with plenty of insulin, but don’t expect to have it everyday and keep your blood sugars down.
If you’re craving chocolate, this is the cake for you. It’s not too sweet and not too rich, and it’s packed with a hefty dose of chocolate and peanut butter.
I hope this article will help you plan your dessert intake. If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, I’d love to hear from you. I always look forward to hearing from my readers!