The Curry puffs recipe is a Chinese-Indian-inspired cake that is an ultra-light, super fluffy coconut puff pastry. Curry Puffs Recipe is moist, flavorful, and very easy to make.
It’s crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside kind of cake. Curry puffs recipe can be made with either store-bought puff pastry or homemade puff pastry.
Making this from scratch would be worth it; otherwise, try using a store-bought one to save some time.
How To Make Curry Puffs Recipe?
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Cool Filling: 20 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 10.7 ounces (300 grams) of ground beef
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 1 large egg
Step-1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, curry powder, and salt and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the potato and continue to cook for 10 minutes longer. Cool filling completely before using it to assemble the Curry Puffs recipe.
Step-2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil; set aside.
Step-3. Roll out the second pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle roughly 15 x 10 inches.
Trim the pastry to have a slightly larger rectangle, 15 x 12 inches. Brush the edges of the larger rectangle with some water and place the smaller piece of pastry on top to form a rough square.
Press along the edges of the dough to seal it completely and trim off any excess. Repeat with remaining dough.
Step-4. Using a sharp knife and starting from the center of the square, cut out 8 squares from the center of the larger rectangle. Cut each square into 4 triangles. Press together to seal each piece as well as you can (you will likely still have a few gaps). Place these assemblies in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
Step-5. Bake pastry shells for 20 minutes or until golden brown; cool at least 10 minutes before filling.
Step-6. In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork until frothy.
Step-7. Split each puff pastry shell in half so that you have 2 layers. Using one or two layers of pastry at a time, lightly brush each one with the egg wash.
Step-8. Divide the filling equally among the 8 pastry shells.
Step-9. Fold each shell to create a triangle and press along either side edge to seal. Then fold the top corner down in a quarter turn, then again in a half turn to have a semi-circle on each side.
This will help one sealing part not to break out of place. Make sure your filling is evenly spread throughout your puffs, ensuring there are no gaps between them.
Step-10. Bake puffs at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before serving.
Nutrition Fact Of Curry Puffs Recipe
Amazing 6 Health Benefits Of Curry Puffs Recipe
1. It is an easy-to-make, high on flavors bread that presents an amazingly delicious, light, and airy pastry filled with a tasty filling.
2. This egg-free, vegetarian puff pastry style is great for desserts and perfect for many other purposes like appetizers like samosas, tikka masala, or stuffing fillings like vegetarian burgers in burritos.
Curry puffs recipe can be filled with smoky roasted vegetables (broccoli or cauliflower florets), cheese cubes, and onions.
3. The key to getting this to come out right is to use all-purpose flour. Too little starch and the egg foam will not stay together. Too much, and it won’t puff up.
4. The curry powder and curry spice of this recipe adds a subtle, savory flavor that goes well with the sweet filling, and it also helps keep this from becoming too sweet by giving off a mild heat from the chili powder
5. The puff pastry for this can be simple and very basic. If you are using homemade puff pastry, then there are several designs that you can use as an inspiration to make a creative puff pastry in your style.
6. Curry puffs recipe is an ideal pastry for parties and get-togethers and special occasions like birthdays, brunches, or any other celebration because of its ability to be made well in advance.
Can These Curry Puffs Be Frozen?
Yes. Please place them in the freezer on a cookie sheet, then transfer them to an airtight container once they are solid.
Can I Store These Curry Puffs In The Fridge?
Yes, you can keep them in a sealed Tupperware container for about 3 days or freeze them for longer storage for up to 2 months.
I strongly believe that a good recipe should be easy to make and taste great. This is one of the best recipes, so you should consider making this recipe.
I want to say thanks for reading this article, and I hope you enjoyed my blog post.
You might want to try some of the other recipes on our blog or check out the other recipes posted on the site.