The Curry crab legs recipe is a dish made with curry powder and crab meat. Crab legs are simmered in a curry until they turn reddish, fall off the bone and become delicious.
It is one of the most popular dishes served at seafood restaurants in India and Sri Lanka. This recipe is easy to prepare, but you will need to marinate it for a few hours.
If you are preparing this at home, there are various techniques by which you can make your curry powder that reflect your taste preferences for flavors like ginger, garlic, or cumin flavor.
How To Make Curry Crab Legs Recipe?
Preparation Time: 1 hr.
Cooking Time: 30 mins.
- Crab legs-8 pieces (remove all the hard shell)
- Oil-2 tbsp
- Yellow or red onion-4 chopped and sautéd in butter for 5 minutes
- Tomato sauce-1 tsp (optional)
- Sugar-1 tsp or to taste.
If you can’t find curry powder, you can use curry paste instead of it and prepare this recipe.
1. Marinate the crab legs with mustard powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
2. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté onion to give some crunchy texture. After about 5 mins, add tomato sauce and blend well for about 1 minute before adding curry powder. Add sugar to it too. Mix everything well and keep it aside for the rest of the preparation.
4. Chop up crab legs into bite-sized pieces after removing all their hard shell. You can also use whole crab legs, but you will need longer to cook them.
If using whole ones, prepare them with a larger amount of oil so that they don’t become too oily while cooking (I suggest using 1 tbsp more oil).
5. Add the crab legs to a pot with oil and cook until they are no more redness. Take a fried rice maker and use it for cooking the rice. You can add some salt here.
6. Serve it with boiled potatoes or vegetables of your choice.
If making this recipe on your own, you need to prepare the marinade, too, before you marinate the crab legs accordingly.
The curry powder is strong, so if you are using it for the first time, use a little amount of it in your food and increase the quantity later when you are familiar with the taste. It’s ideal for cooking curry in a cast iron pan, which doesn’t change its color easily.
This dish is incomplete without potatoes or some vegetables. You can also add sautéd carrots before adding crab legs to the pot.
1. You can also fry some cubed potatoes and the crab legs before cooking it.
2. When serving, you can add some vegetables to your plate or even add boiled rice which is good for your digestion.
3. You can also mix boiled potatoes with the curry sauce and use it as sauce bases for different dinners
Nutrition Facts Of Curry Crab Legs Recipe
Health Benefits Of Curry Crab Legs Recipe
1. Good source of protein.
2. Good source of vitamins including A, B2, and B12.
3. Good for your digestion.
4. Source of omega 6 fatty acids essential for the good health of heart and blood vessels.
5. It is one of the best iron, calcium, zinc, and selenium sources from food instead of supplements.
6. Prevents cancer.
7. It reduces pain in your joints and other body parts.
Can I Freeze Curry Crab Legs Recipe?
If you have leftovers, you can freeze this dish in a freezer-safe container or zip lock bag. It lasts up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can Everyone Eat Curry Crab Legs Recipe?
Many people are allergic to turmeric. So, if you have any such problem, don’t add curry powder to the dish.
Is It Gluten-Free?
It’s gluten-free because it has no added wheat flour except for rice.
Is Curry Crab Legs Recipe Good For Pregnant Women?
Yes, it is good for pregnant women as it is rich in iron and calcium, which help develop a fetus.
Is Curry Crab Legs Recipe Natural?
The dish is made with turmeric powder which is a natural herb. The other ingredients are mostly made from nature, like onions, tomatoes, and sugar. So you can say that this recipe is as natural as possible.
Is Curry Crab Legs Recipe Healthy?
Yes, it is healthy.
Is Curry Crab Legs Recipe Vegan?
No, it’s not a vegan dish as it has fish. You can use vegetable oil instead of fish oil if you are allergic to fishery products. It will be a better choice.
That is a quick and simple recipe to prepare at home, and if you are looking to eat healthier, you must try this dish. So, try it out, add on more vegetables of your choice and have a great time cooking like no other.
You can also serve it as an appetizer with only one crab leg, making the dish more manageable for your family.
I hope this article will help you have a good time and make your day better by trying this recipe. Do share your food experience with me in the comments section below.