The Curried Duck Recipe Is a dish of duck coated in an Indian-style curry sauce. It is a traditional dish with a rich history and much variation. The curry sauce is usually prepared with onion, fresh ginger, ground turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Other spices may be added for additional flavor and texture, such as coriander seeds, cardamom pods, or cinnamon sticks.
In my case, I used fresh ginger and turmeric (which are not in traditional curry powder), and for the red pepper flakes, I used cayenne pepper, which is available pre-ground. You should have no problem finding these at your local grocery store or spice shop. You can also get them online; make sure to choose an organic brand.
What Is Curried Duck Recipe?
The curried duck recipe is a simple and delicious meal for any occasion. It can be enjoyed as a quick snack or as a main dish.
The most common ingredients are Indian curry powder, onion, ginger, garlic, turmeric, chicken broth, red pepper flakes, and the duck itself, which can be roasted or grilled.
My version of the curried duck recipe is slightly different from the others. I have tweaked it by using a combination of fresh ginger, turmeric, and cayenne pepper instead of just using regular curry powder. This gives the dish a little more spice and kicks that I think anyone can enjoy.
How To Make Curried Duck Recipe?
To prepare the curried duck recipe, start by making the curry sauce. Heat about a half stick of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (I use ground cayenne pepper)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 1 onion, chopped
Step 1. In a heavy bottom pot or wok on medium-high heat, add about half a stick of butter and add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions have softened.
Step 2. Add the turmeric and black pepper and stir well to combine.
Step 3. Add the spices to a blender and blend until crushed (you can do this by hand if that’s easier).
Step 4. Melt the remaining half stick of butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the curry paste and combine it with all other ingredients. Continue stirring until the curry simmer, remove from heat, and set aside.
Step 5. Now, it’s time to season the duck. Prepare a foil-lined baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and set it aside.
Step 6. Season the cavities of the duck with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Rub the outside of the duck with olive oil and then sprinkle with ground turmeric (if you can’t find turmeric powder, use ginger powder instead).
Step 7. Now, place the duck on the baking sheet and roast in an oven preheated to 350 F for about an hour or until the tenderloins are cooked through.
Step 8. Now, it’s time to prepare your curry sauce. Over medium heat, stir the curry sauce when it starts to bubble, and then reduce heat further to low. Simmer until thickened. This should take 5-10 minutes, depending on the stove (I used a gas stove).
Step 9. Now, it’s time to serve up your curried duck recipe! I served mine with brown basmati rice and a side of Indian-style naan bread.
Step 10. Plate the curry sauce in a bowl (or serve over the duck) and then place the duck on top of that. Serve up with some naan bread on the side.
Step 11. Enjoy!
1. You can cook the curry sauce down to thicken like gravy. If you like, reduce the heat and simmer until it has thickened.
2. You can roast your duck in the oven up to a week in advance. Make sure to store it in the refrigerator until it’s time to cook.
3. You can also cook your rice right before serving or even make it ahead and have the rice already prepared. Heat the rice with some of the curry sauce by adding a little water and simmer quickly, stirring until heated through. Then, serve.
4. You can also grill the duck instead of roasting it.
5. This dish goes well with some Indian-style naan bread that you can cook up quickly! Add some curry powder and water to a small sauce pan and simmer until it thickens up slightly. Then, brush the curry sauce onto your naan bread and cook on a hot grill or a hot skillet until golden brown.
This Curried Duck Recipe is great, especially if you’re looking for a quick and easy meal to make at home. It brings you back to the Indian roots and the origins of curry.
This dish is also a great way to use a leftover duck from other recipes. If you roast the duck in advance and store it properly, it should last for about a week in your refrigerator and an hour in your oven.