The Cueritos recipe is a Mexican dish traditionally made with corn masa dough. The dough is then fried in hot oil and spooned over the filling, containing chicken, pork, shrimp, and vegetables. The dough itself is a little bit tricky to make, but it’s worth the effort!
Many variations of this dish exist all over Mexico, but it’s most often associated with Puebla and Oaxaca. It is one of the most popular dishes in Mexico.
Most people eat it as a snack or an appetizer with drinks. This is the only version they know for most people, but there are many different versions!
In Mexico and my family, we like to make big batches of this dish because it’s a great snack for parties or has handy for snacks! So here is the recipe for making your cueritos at home.
How To Make Cueritos Recipe?
- 100 grams of pork loin, cut into cubes
- 3 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup of scallions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- A dash of salt to taste
- 2 eggs for the dough for frying
- Vegetable oil for frying.
Ingredients For The Filling:
- 2 eggs beaten with a pinch of salt.
- 1-2 cups of finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatillos, with their husks removed and finely chopped.
1. To prepare the meat: Mix the ground pork with 1/4 cup of plain flour in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Spread out the meat on a tortilla and roll it until compact. Please place it in a bowl. Repeat this process until all the heart is used.
3. Add the scallions, garlic, and salt to taste. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap while you prepare the condiments for frying the stuffed tortillas and filling:
1. Cut the tortillas into strips. Then cut them in half to make the “ribbons.”
2. In a bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt.
3. To make the filling: In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients listed above. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Take a tortilla and spread some of the beaten eggs on it. Place the cabbage on top of this. Mix half of the meat filling with the cabbage and spread it on the eggs.
5. Make several more layers until you have used all of your ingredients. Roll up the tortillas tightly (think spring roll style)! Repeat until you have used all of your ingredients!
1. Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry the tortillas until golden brown on both sides.
2. Drain the fried burritos on paper towels and serve them warm.
Nutrition Facts Of Cueritos Recipe
|Total fat||7 grams|
|Saturated fatty acids||2.5 grams|
Best 8 Health Benefits Of Cueritos Recipe
1. Helps Maintain Blood Sugar
The high fiber content of the Cueritos recipe helps prevent blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. This is important as one of the first steps in keeping diabetes under control is stabilizing glucose levels.
2. Improves Cardiovascular Health
The Cueritos recipe is packed with nutrients that benefit cardiovascular health. For one, the fiber content helps prevent the clogging of arteries and ensures the proper functioning of both heart and blood vessels.
3. Helps Prevent Cancer
The Cueritos recipe antioxidants help prevent cell mutations that may lead to cancer. On the other hand, fiber helps to reduce levels of estradiol. A female hormone is associated with various types of cancer, including endometrial and breast cancer.
4. Lowers Risk Of Heart Disease
The high fiber content of the Cueritos recipe also helps to lower cholesterol levels in the body, reducing the overall risk for heart disease by doing so.
5. Reduces Risk Of Diabetes
The Cueritos recipe is high in fiber, B-group vitamins, and minerals that all work together to lower blood glucose levels. This ensures a steady release of energy for the body, making it less likely for diabetes to occur.
6. Promotes Dental Health
The Cueritos recipe is full of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D that contributes to teeth health and development.
7. Helps Prevent Problems In The Uterus
The fiber content of the Cueritos recipe is rich in nutrients that help prevent endometriosis, a condition that causes infertility and pain.
8. Reduces Risk Of Heart Failure
The high fiber content of the Cueritos recipe increases the efficiency of blood cleaning and reduces the risk of heart failure.
You can also read it: Bone Suckin Sauce Recipe: Best 12 Health Benefits
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze the burritos! To thaw the cueritos, defrost them in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Who Should Make This Recipe?
Anyone who wants to try new tacos increases their overall knowledge about Mexican cuisines. The Cueritos recipe is simple enough for anyone to make so that it will delight your family with its great taste.
How To Freeze?
To freeze the burritos:
- Freeze the fried cueritos in an airtight bag or container for up to a month.
To thaw the cueritos:
- Thaw them in an airtight bag or container by placing them in the fridge for at least two hours.
The Cueritos recipe is a fun food that can be eaten as finger food or served in a bowl with salsa. The high fiber content of the Cueritos recipe will help to lower cholesterol levels, keeping the risk for heart disease and other types of problems related to heart health at bay.
The fiber also ensures proper functioning of the valves of blood vessels, preventing clogging and rupture that can lead to diabetes.