A popular Christmas Rum Cake Recipe dessert in the United Kingdom, this cake is based on rum, golden raisins, and brandy.
It is light and flavorful, with a short baking time to prevent drying out. This cake is typically served at tea time or as a Christmas breakfast spread.
How to make Christmas Rum Cake Recipe
- 240 g / 8 oz raisins
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 120 g / 4.1 oz plain flour
- 340 g / 12 oz soft dark brown sugar
- 80 ml / 2.7 fl oz dark rum (we used Myers’s)
- 40 g / 1.4 oz candied stem ginger, chopped finely (optional)
- 80 ml / 2.7 fl oz double cream or double (heavy) cream
- Additional 100 ml of double cream/heavy cream if you want to ice the cake with it later on.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 355°F. Line a 20 x 30cm / 8 x 12 inch round cake tin with greaseproof baking paper.
2. Place the raisins into a bowl with the egg and stir together to coat them evenly.
3. Combine the flour, sugar, and ginger in a bowl, add rum and cream and stir well to combine. When thoroughly mixed, pour over the mixture in your bowl, stirring until well combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level it out. Sprinkle with the additional cream (if you choose to do so) and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and cool before carefully turning it out of its tin onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature with a cup of tea/pudding.
Nutrition facts of Christmas Rum Cake Recipe
|Total Fat||14.8 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||49.6 g|
Benefits of Christmas Rum Cake Recipe
This cake is a delicious treat to enjoy during the Christmas holiday season and contains plenty of Christmas spices and flavors.
It’s full of strong, warming rum flavors and aromas. The cake itself is cooked quickly, so it remains light and moist.
Additional Benefits of Dinner Recipes
If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, you can utilize almond flour instead of wheat flour. The raisins are naturally gluten-free as they are dried fruit.
5 Health Nutrition of Christmas Rum Cake Recipe
1. The raisins and rum are very tart, with a base of golden raisins, which are a little less tart than regular raisins.
2. The ginger adds another layer of flavor to this cake from the candied stem of ginger, which also helps keep the cake moist.
3. One serving contains around 60 calories and 15 grams needed from fat.
4. This cake can be made a day or two ahead of time, but it’s best fresh when you serve it.
5. The festive flavors of this cake will appeal to many people and make a great main dish for Christmas breakfast or any other time of the day.
Price in Christmas Rum Cake Recipe
The price of this cake is around $6 – $7.50, but if you buy the ingredients separately, it will cost approximately $6.50 – $7.50 at the market.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze it for up to 2 months. This way you will also save money because you can make it in advance.
How to store?
To store this cake in a freezer, wrap every slice with plastic cling film for maximum preservation.
Is It Suitable For Heart Patients?
Yes, this is healthy for heart patients. It contains only natural ingredients without additives or preservatives.
Is It Good For Pregnant Women?
This recipe is perfectly suitable for pregnant women because it contains only natural ingredients.
Is It Vegan?
Yes, this recipe is completely vegan.
Can You Make This Recipe Without Eggs?
Yes, you can make this cake without eggs. However, you may need to increase the flour by a millimeter or two, which will make the cake a bit more dense and harder.
Can You Make This Recipe Without Flour?
Yes, you can make this Cake recipe without flour. It will be a little bit denser and also more expensive.
Can You Add Hot Drink To The Cake?
You can add a hot drink to the cake, but you may need to reduce the quantities of the sugar or add half of the sugar if your glass is quite sweet.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, you can freeze this recipe for up to 2 months.
The Bottom Line
It is a magnificent Christmas cake with all the right ingredients to make it a go-to choice for the holiday season. We especially liked the flavor of spice and rum in this cake.
This cake was so simple to prepare and well worth the time spent preparing it. It was moist, flavorful, and delicious with a satisfying rummy kick. We plan to make several of these cakes for our next Christmas party to share with our guests.