The Cambodian curry recipe is a dish that is traditionally made with coconut milk, onion, and spices. The mixture of flavors from this recipe is one of a kind, making it a delicious dinner for the whole family.
This article will teach you how to make the Cambodian curry recipe step by step. This Cambodian curry recipe is perfect for those not familiar with this traditional meal and who would like to try their hand at cooking it.
It will help you cook the Cambodian curry recipe by following our instructions. The Cambodian curry recipe can also be a good addition to your dinner menu. This recipe is easy to prepare and cooks in a short time.
The taste of the Cambodian curry will make you fall in love with it the moment you taste it. This article is dedicated to You and Your family.
How To Make Cambodian Curry Recipe?
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8 people
Red Kroeung Paste
- 2 inches galangal peeled and grated or finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 bird’s eye chili
- 2 lemongrass stalks, outer leaves discarded, and tender insides roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 shallots peeled and chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves are cut into thin strips (or the zest of two limes)
- 1-inch fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh turmeric peeled and grated or finely minced (or 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric powder)
- 5 large dried red peppers seeds and stems were removed and rehydrated by soaking in hot water for 10 minutes (reserve ¾ cup of the water!)
- 2-3 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3-4 cups of water
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6-10 Tablespoons of red kroeung paste to taste
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, each cut into 2 pieces
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 5-8 yardlong beans cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small eggplant, also known as aubergine, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large white potato peeled, then cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled, then cut into 2-inch pieces
Step 1: Start with the red kroeung paste: Place the rehydrated dried chilies in a bowl and cover with warm water.
Step 2: Once soft and pliable, discard the stems and seeds, then chop up the rehydrated chilies into small pieces.
Step 3: In a mortar or a spice grinder, add the remaining red kroeung paste ingredients and some of the water used to soak them. Once a rough paste forms set it aside.
Step 4: To prepare the curry: Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add in the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
Step 5: Add in the red kroeung paste and cook until very fragrant, stirring every so often to prevent burning (about 2-3 minutes).
Step 6: Once fragrant, add in several tablespoons of curry paste and mix thoroughly with your curry paste (red kroeung paste).
Step 7: Add coconut milk, water, soy sauce, fish sauce, shrimp paste, palm sugar, and salt. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes.
Step 8: Next, add the chicken (cut into pieces), sweet potato, and white potato. Cook for another 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the eggplant and yardlong beans. Simmer until the veggies are cooked through (about 5 minutes).
Step 9: At the end of cooking, add the remaining red kroeung paste. Mix well and simmer until fragrant and hot.
Step 10: Serve over rice or noodles.
Nutrition Facts Of Cambodian Curry Recipe
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
8 Amazing Serving Ideas For Cambodian Curry Recipe
1. Serve with steamed rice, boiled eggs, and fresh basil leaves.
2. Serve over spaghetti squash.
3. Add ramen noodles for a flavorful meal.
4. Serve with broccoli, bell peppers, and carrots for a healthy veggie side dish.
5. Serve with pasta, green beans, and sweet potato.
6. Serve with tortilla chips as a snack or appetizer meal.
7. Serve on a plate with tater tots for a tasty Cambodian curry recipe appetizer menu.
8. Serve over quinoa for a healthy Cambodian curry recipe meal idea!
How To Make More Delicious?
To make this recipe more flavorful, add in your ingredients! You can add in any of the following:
- Shredded zucchini
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Bell peppers sliced into strips
- Cherry tomatoes halved
Sliced mushrooms (click here to find out how to grow your mushrooms at home)
These delicious additions will make your Cambodian curry recipe a meal the whole family will love. Enjoy the tasty and healthy meal that will become a regular favorite at your house.
Can I Freeze Cambodian Curry Recipe?
Yes, you can! You can freeze the Cambodian curry in a freezer-safe container and use it as needed. You might have to adjust the amount of water used when reheating.
When the cambodian curry recipe is frozen, the texture is slightly different because it tends to be a tad bit drier than when it was freshly made.
You can add 1 teaspoon of oil or butter if the curry seems too dry upon reheating.
Is Cambodian Curry Recipe Good For Health?
This traditional Cambodian curry recipe is a healthy meal full of nutrients that are good for the body. There are many ways to enjoy this delicious and healthy meal. Eating it with rice and vegetables makes the meal very nutritious, but you can also enjoy it by eating it as a snack or appetizer.
Is Cambodian Curry Recipe Halal?
Yes, this recipe is halal because it does not contain any haram ingredients.
I Wanted To Share This Recipe With You All – MY FAMILY AND YOURS!
This is one of my all-time favorite recipes, and it is such an easy recipe to make. You can also easily double or triple the recipe as needed. Enjoy! This is also great for meal prepping for the upcoming football season.
I hope you will all enjoy my recipes. Please feel free to comment below, and don’t forget to give this recipe your thumbs up if you like it.