Burmese fish curry recipe is a very popular dish, and it is the signature dish of Zein, Myanmar. Fish is deep-fried until golden brown and then cooked in a savory yellow curry sauce with onions and aromatic spices.
The Burmese fish curry recipe goes great with steamed white rice, absorbing this dish’s wonderful flavors.
How to make a Burmese fish curry recipe?
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
Ingredients for Burmese fish curry recipe
Marinate for fish
- 1 Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Tumeric
- 250 g Cod Fish / Barramundi Fish / White Fish
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Large Shallot
- 2 Vine Tomato
- 4-5 Red/green chili
- Handful coriander
- 1½ Chilli powder
- ½ Tumeric powder
- 1½ Fish sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp Oil
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Warm water
1. Wash fish and cut into 2-3 inch size pieces.
2. Add salt, turmeric, and garlic to the fish. Mix well till all the spices are evenly coated on the fish pieces.
3. Leave fish in its mix for 15 minutes until it absorbs all the flavors of the mix.
4. Take out the fish from its mix and deep fry till it is golden brown and nice crispy. (You can even make the fish pieces into round patties and cook instead of cooking the fish whole).
5. Add oil to a pan and fry the shallots until golden brown. Add the tomatoes, garlic, and chilies to it.
6. Add in chili powder and turmeric powder and mix well with your hand to evenly spread all the spices in the pan. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes until tomatoes are nicely soft.
7. Add in fish and mix well with the spices in the pan and the fish sauce. Add warm water to it and mix well.
8. Cover, cook for about 5 minutes till fish is cooked. Make sure to stir it once or twice during the cooking process so that the curry does not stick to one part of the pot.
9. Remove from heat and garnish with coriander before serving.
10. Serve hot with steamed white rice.
Nutrition Facts of Burmese fish curry recipe
5 Amazing Serving Ideas of Burmese fish curry recipe
1. Add 1-2 Tbsp of soy sauce to the recipe before serving to add an extra layer of flavor to the fish curry recipe.
2. Add 1 Cup of steamed Basmati white rice to this recipe and make fish curry fried rice.
3. Make Burmese Papaya Salad and serve it alongside this dish to enjoy an extra special meal.
4. Adding potatoes can make the curry a hearty meal with crackers or naan bread.
5. Adding a few hard-boiled eggs to the recipe will make it a very nice meal that can be served with rice or chips.
Can I Freeze the Burmese fish curry recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the fish curry recipe. Before freezing, you need to cool and then pack in an air-tight container in the freezer. To defrost and reheat the fish curry recipe, allow it to thaw in a microwave before serving.
How do I prevent the Burmese fish curry recipe from sticking to the pan?
To prevent food from sticking to the pan, there are two options:
1. Add a few drops of oil before adding the curry mix to the pan.
2. Use a non-stick pan so as not to have to use much oil or butter when cooking the Burmese fish curry recipe.
Is the Burmese fish curry recipe Kids Friendly?
Yes, the fish curry recipe is kids friendly. The recipe cooked with tomatoes and fish sauce is a kid-friendly meal. The recipe can also be made into a family meal by adding potatoes or eggs.
How long does the Burmese fish curry recipe last?
The Burmese fish curry recipe stays good in the fridge for about 2-3 days if stored in an air-tight container after cooking. You can also freeze the fish curry recipe and make it last longer.
Is It Good for Heart patients?
No, this recipe is loaded with oil and salt, which may not work well for people on heart medications.
Can I use other flour instead of rice flour?
If you do not get rice flour, then you can try other flours such as chickpea flour and regular wheat flour for this dish.
Can I make this dish in a slow cooker or crock pot?
This dish is best cooked on a high flame in a pot than in a slow cooker or crock pot to get the right texture and color.
The Burmese fish curry recipe is a delicious and healthy dish that goes perfectly well with rice. This recipe can also create amazing dishes, such as fish curry fried rice or Burmese papaya salad. Make this meal soon, and you won’t regret it.
I hope this article on the Burmese fish curry recipe was helpful. Feel free to comment and share your experiences. Have a wonderful day!