The Beet curry recipe is a variation of the classic chicken curry. It is a delicious, nutritious, and easy dish that will leave you feeling satisfied.
Beet is another name for small red-colored root vegetables such as beets, chard, or radishes.
They are used widely in both European and American cuisine. They are among the most healthy vegetables due to their high levels of antioxidants, folate, Vitamin A, and iron content.
This recipe uses them in an Indian-style dish with coconut milk giving it an authentic taste. It is an ideal addition to a vegetarian meal and can be served with rice or chapattis.
Whether you are a vegetarian or not, this dish will leave you full and happy.
How To Make Beet Curry Recipe?
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
Ingredients For Making Beets Curry Recipe
- 3 medium beets
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (or cumin seeds)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (use more if you like, as curry powders can vary in flavor)
- 14 oz coconut milk (canned, or use thick, homemade coconut milk)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon cilantro (chopped, optional)
Instructions For Making Beets Curry Recipe:
1. Trim the tops and roots off of the beets, then wash thoroughly and chop them into small pieces.
1. Heat oil in a saucepan on medium. Once heated, add mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
2. Add chopped tomatoes, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and curry powder (tilting pot quickly to coat tomatoes in spices). Stir well, cover, and reduce heat to low.
3. In another pan, add beets and salt. Stir so that all sides are covered in salt. Cover pot to slowly steam beets in their moisture (about 5 minutes).
4. Once beets are slightly soft, add juice from the beet can and water to equal 1 cup. Then add coconut milk (or coconut cream) and stir well to combine.
5. Place lid on pan and heat until liquid begins to boil. Then reduce to low, simmer for 20 minutes or until beets are soft.
7. Optional: Add cilantro and mix in before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Of Beet Curry Recipe
5 Amazing Serving Ideas For Beet Curry Recipe
1. Serve as an appetizer with whipped honey and toasted almonds.
2. Easy to pack, can be taken in your lunch bag or school bag. Add a spoonful of hummus as a dip and enjoy.
3. Serve with rice mixed with chopped lettuce and tomatoes, red onion, etc. Side of bajra rotis or pappadom can be added if you like!
4. Add boiled rice and mix well. It can be served as a side dish.
5. Add roasted chickpeas and nuts to have a completely satisfying meal.
Can I Freeze The Beet Curry Recipe?
Yes, you can. The recipe below is for one serving, so add over once the entire recipe has been finished if you are serving more than that. It should keep in the freezer for up to a week.
1. Place the cooked mixture in a small storage container and press flat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or put in a smaller storage container (if too much sauce will be leftover).
2. When ready to use, remove from freezer, leave to thaw at room temperature, and return to original shape once thawed (as if it was just prepared).
Can I Add Other Vegetables?
Yes. You can add carrots, green peas, cauliflower, and even potatoes.
What If I Don’t Like Beets?
Then you can use other vegetables, but try out beet curry in the first place to see how you will like it! A hint -it’s a delicious dish! If you are trying something new, try beet curry with your favorite vegetables or meat instead of or alongside the recipe given, and give it a go!
Is Beet curry recipe Good For Beet Curry Recipe?
Yes, it’s good for those who want low-carb food and those who are vegetarians.
How Long Can I Keep It In The Freezer?
You may keep this in the freezer. However, don’t forget that the crisp cold temperature of the freezer will add some ‘crystallization’ to your foods, and as such, they will feel more ‘old’ than usual.
Beet curry recipe is a popular dish in many cuisines and even today is eaten in India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. To make this an authentic dish, use fresh beets with the beet juice from the can. The beet curry recipe is a delicious dish that is quick to prepare.
Beet curry is a simple Indian dish that mixes the best flavors to leave you wanting more, and before you know it, your plate will be clean! Try it with rice, roti, or chapattis for an authentic taste.
I hope you like this recipe very much. Enjoy the meal!