The Bajan curry chicken recipe is a dish made of chicken, onions, and Bajan seasoning. This recipe is a spicy chicken dish from the region of Bajan in the Caribbean, which includes Yucatán and Belize.
This is a great recipe to feed your family, friends, or colleagues because it’s a sweet and savory combination that everyone will love.
Though this recipe has an Indian influence with some Latin flavors, it creates the perfect balance in taste and texture. The result is considered one of the best recipes for Bajan curry chicken.
It has a mild heat with a sweet and savory taste because of the mango, brown sugar, jalapeno, and ginger in this recipe.
How To Make Bajan Curry Chicken Recipe?
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
Serves: 4 Peoples
Ingredients For Bajan Curry Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 breasts)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper very finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers very finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper plus additional to taste
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 15-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce plus additional to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Prepared brown rice quinoa or cauliflower rice for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and season with salt. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high until very hot.
Add the chicken and cook, stirring every few minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through (be careful not to burn), about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken pieces to a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish; set aside. Reduce heat to low.
3. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, and ginger to the skillet where you cooked the chicken. Cook over low heat until soft, stirring occasionally; about 7 minutes.
4. Add the curry powder and cook over low heat for 1 minute. Stir in 3 1/2 tablespoons water; cook until it evaporates (you will see little bubbles on the surface), about 1 minute longer. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt, garlic powder, turmeric, allspice, and cayenne pepper; cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add the potatoes, coconut milk, and Worcestershire sauce (be careful not to add all coconut milk at once; it’ll foam up a bit). Cook until thickened and reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and hot sauce.
6 Place the chicken pieces in a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish (or an extra-large baking dish) or on a lightly greased baking sheet. Pour the potatoes over the chicken evenly; stir to coat the meat with sauce.
7. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes and then broiled on high for about 1 minute or until golden and bubbly. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with prepared brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Of Bajan Curry Chicken Recipe
Amazing 7 Health Benefits Of Bajan Curry Chicken Recipe
Protein is a basic human need, vital for the growth and repair of tissues. Although meat is considered the most efficient source of protein, this recipe offers high-quality protein from chicken breast and potatoes.
It plays an important role in cells’ functioning; it helps maintain fluid balance in and around cells by acting as a regulator. Potassium also helps control the heart’s electrical activity; it is necessary for muscle contraction.
3. Dietary Fiber
Fiber helps with the digestive system by speeding up gastrointestinal transit time and helping food to be broken down, absorbed, and passed smoothly through the intestine.
4. Vitamin C
As an antioxidant, it helps to neutralize free radicals, protecting against damage caused by them. It has a role in the collagen formation of bones, teeth, cartilage, and blood vessels; it is also known to promote the healing of wounds and to maintain a healthy immune system.
Essential for releasing energy from protein and fats, folate has a key role in maintaining a healthy nervous system.
6. Folate, Vitamins A, C, D, And E
These vitamins are essential for a healthy immune system. They contribute to the maintenance of healthy skin, hair and nails, and a healthy nervous system. As antioxidants, they help to protect cells from damage caused by harmful substances, including some viruses.
7. Vitamin B6
Required to convert food into energy; also an important co-factor in producing DNA, histones, and methyl groups.
How To Make More Delicious?
This recipe can be made 2 ways:
1) Bajan curry chicken recipe can be served with a side of rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice; or
2) Bajan curry chicken recipe can be served inside puffy bread such as naan.
To do this, slice the bread in half horizontally and place a generous amount of the curry chicken on top. Add some cooked veggies such as carrots and peas if you wish. Wrap it like a sandwich and enjoy!
Can I Freeze Bajan curry chicken recipe?
Yes, Bajan curry chicken recipe can be frozen as is. To thaw in the refrigerator, remove Bajan curry chicken recipe from freezer and let it sit for 1-1.5hrs before continuing with the instructions.
Is It Healthy?
Bajan Curry Chicken is a healthy dish because chicken offers lean protein, and potatoes are high in potassium and dietary fiber.
Curry powder contains turmeric: it’s an anti-inflammatory, so it can help to relieve symptoms of arthritis and other inflammatory conditions.
This recipe seemed to be risky because it contains high amounts of spice, but the dish tasted great, and the result was excellent.
I hope you try this recipe out; if you do, please leave a comment or rating below. It’s greatly appreciated!
If you have more knowing information, please leave a comment! Best regards from your friend Adam, and welcome to my blog!